iPhoto question please?

Reaction score
1/
If I copy pictures from my camera directly into the pictures folder on my mac and then import them from the pictures folder into iPhoto, do I end up with the original pictures being duplicated?

2/
If I import my pictures straight from the camera into iPhoto where are the imported pictures to found in Finder?

Any advice welcome please!:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
1) Yes, iPhoto copies the files into it's own package in the ~/Pictures directory.

2) They're in ~/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library Don't mess with them in the file system, or you'll break iPhoto.

C

chas_m

To reiterate what Dysfunction said, everything repeat EVERYTHING you might want to do with your photos needs to be done from within the iPhoto program, including handing them off to a third-party editor if needed. You *DO NOT* mess with the iPhoto library package unless you enjoy losing data.

OP
fixerman
Reaction score
Thanks Folks! I have pretty much got the message. I will leave the iPhoto library well and truly alone.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
More iphoto to imac to backup device questions....

Ok here is my problem...I have 3,000 pics/vids on my iphone. The phone is full, and I need to get them to my seagate backup. So, I plug in the phone, and I stumble through iphoto (06) to download to my imac. I can't tell what happened, because they all seem to be duplicated, and NOT in order. How do I tell if I have downloaded them all (so I can clear iphone for next round of photos/vids), and how do I then proceed to get them off my imac, and on to a backup? Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Ok here is my problem...I have 3,000 pics/vids on my iphone. The phone is full, and I need to get them to my seagate backup. So, I plug in the phone, and I stumble through iphoto (06) to download to my imac. I can't tell what happened, because they all seem to be duplicated, and NOT in order. How do I tell if I have downloaded them all (so I can clear iphone for next round of photos/vids), and how do I then proceed to get them off my imac, and on to a backup? Thanks...

Doesn't answer your question but why did you import them into iPhoto and not move them to their own folder or direct to the Seagate drive?

As to where they are depends on how the preferences are set in iPhoto - see advanced tab to see if they are copied into iPhoto or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.