How do you connect Audio Interface to Mac?

Reaction score
Not artificial intelligence :) how do you connect an audio interface to your mac, im getting some monitors and an audio interface for my home music studio, and for the first time, and im looking at the back of my mac pro (and macbook) and im not sure how i will go about connecting my mac to the audio interface. I know its a simple answer, enlighten me :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There are audio interfaces that connect through either USB or Firewire. There are even a few around that connect through PCI cards if you are using a Mac Pro. Have to be careful there though because the Mac pros use PCIe cards and not all devices use that.

Here's some information which might help Audio Interfaces for your MacBook, iMac, and Mac pro

Others will have to chime in on which models they think are best. I am out of me element there. I personally would choose a Firewire if you mac supports it but others may disagree.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
For a bedroom studio, do not bat an eyelid at PCI-e cards. These are designed for recording professionals. Go for a nice USB/FW interface such as a MBox, Sapphire Pro, Apogee Duet, or something like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Am I missing something here? From the images I've looked at, both a MacPro and a Macbook have a 3.5 mm stereo output socket. Simply feed via a suitable audio cable to an external amplifier. From there, depending on what you've got in your collection of audio equipment, the world's your oyster! Enjoy it.

Reaction score
If you need to interface with both a Mac Pro and a Macbook the best solution is from a company called Lynx. They make a product called the Aurora and have a new option card called the LT-USB which handles full channel counts across a hi-speed USB connection. Very simple to setup and well tested on the Mac.

Bear in mind that the Aurora is an analog to digital (A/D) and digital to analog (D/A) converter only, and that you will need external microphone preamps and a monitor control solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.