yahoo messenger beta 3 and mac os x 6.8

Reaction score
I have had no end of trouble running this chat room application on my macbook pro. Has anyone had similar issues -- great delays and dropouts-? And do you think the only soln is installing windows on the computer? If I do this am i opening my puter up to viruses and how difficult is it to install this new system on puter? TY
I have hd the same prob on differ ISPS

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have been running the latest Beta of Yahoo Messenger for OSX on both 10.6.8 and now 10.7.1 Lion and have yet to have any issues with it.

It could be something wrong with your configuration file.

OP
O
Reaction score
TY d travis--can you be more specific? Apple has ni and yahoo keeps saying its a mac prob.

OP
O
Reaction score
yahoo messenger windows on macbook pro and viruses?

Yeah its months later and I have gone to apple my isp and tried to contact yahoo but theya re no help. I need an instant fix ; is it to install lion so I have ichat? I hvae not been able to use adium or other third prty clients that wont visulize the cht rooms. Should just install windows. Fed up and considering just pursuing a pc laptop so that I dont open this system to viruses by using windows on this mac book pro???

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For most basic Yahoo chat I use iChat in Lion. For Video and other things like sending pics back and forth, I use the latest Beta of Yahoo Chat and have yet to have any issues with it. I am not sure what exact issues are having.

OP
O
Reaction score
Dear Dennis:
Perhaps using Lion is the solution, though I will have to get new applications, so I was deciding where to spend my money, on windows or the applications. The Yahoo messenger is what I use now on 6.8, and there are excessive delays in chatting that grow as the night goes by and finally I stop entirely. I have reinstalled it many times, used canadian, english versions (3.01 beta) called the differ ISPs I have use at differ locations, called apple and reset the router, airport channels, and recently doubled the RAM.
I am worried about installing windows in that this is a valuable computer and I do not want to open it to viruses. Someone suggested the configuration file--but I do not know how to access that. Actually in using yahoo messenger, I do not know how to access any preferences , bec its its own browser. Yahoo offers no help. Thanx.-Olo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.