• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Big changes, cutting back on cable. RoKu/PlayOn to replace?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
So I did it. Today i called Comcast and went to..
~~Basic Cable-about 25 channels, all local, the highlight being PBS for my daughter (that dang Big Red Dog clifford, love him)
~~HD box rental this translates to about 3.99/mnth (if I'm wrong correct me please)
~~Performance internet i think the woman said this is 16 mb, the next one down is called economy, and is 3mb
~~and modem rental is like 7 dollars/month
That translates to about 79$ before tax. Down from 114+tax.
Not astronomical, but 35$ is 35$. 420$ a year.

Hardware wise we have a xBox 360s, low/middle grade Panasonic BR player with no web based apps, and an 42 inch LG HDTV with NF, YouTube, and VuDu apps.

I still have netflix and hulu+services. Netflix is the streaming option only. Well aware of the 'Starz Movie Play' drop. My daughter loves Phineas and Ferb tho. NF was Streaming and 1 BR disc at a time at 13+tax, now its 7.99+tax. So theres 5$/month or 60$ a year.

Hulu+ won't be changing much in my near future.

So I do all these cut backs to save some money (even went from the 2GB down to 256MB on 2 iPhones ~12$ total/month cheaper, that seems like the most daunting to get used to!!) just to buy something else.

I was really intrigued by this PlayOn- Watch Internet Videos on Your TV | PlayOn, and it's lovely compatibility with my 360. Quickly saddened tho to learn that it is only for Windoze users. I know a lot of folks on here us Windows as well as their OS X/iOS devices.

Anybody have PlayOn? Like it? Hate it? How do you access it; 1st gen Roku (not on 2nd gen i guess) or do you dual boot via Parallels/Boot

The something else to buy soon that I mentioned above is a set-top box, RoKu 1st/2nd gen, Apple TV 2, or Boxee.

Boxee falls way behind with the initial 120-200$ buy in, I did look into "Make a Boxee" on their site. But its just a different GUI to access the media already on my iMac. Yeah, i could run the HDMI across the floor to the HDMI, but i do that already with iTunes (when i do that I loose the ability to use my mac without the tv leaving the full screen setting on extended desktop)

I have fallen in love with every Apple device I've owned so far, but the ATV2 really limits what you can get when compared to the similar priced Roku, (not a big MLB/NBA fan at all, but **** if it supported any type of NFL season blah blah, I'd sign up for that and buy the ATV2 in a second) and the rentals (on movies only now) are a hair to steep compared to the 4 Redboxes in a 1 mile radius of my house.

So the one left standing in my eye (unless some folks on MF here can sway me) is the Roku. It is just as expensive for the ATV2 (for the top model, RoKu 2 XS). Small form factor on my cluttered HDTV stand, ethernet (I love wifi don't get me wrong, but if the router is within 10 feet, device in question it getting ethernet), Fox News channel for the wife, 1080 over the ATV2 720 (yeah i guess some/not all channels on the roku push out 1080, but they will eventually to stay with the times), I have never tapped the Amazon reservoir but there may be potential, and then there is some free things that are available with old movies and shows.

So does anybody LOVE Playon? LOVE it enough to dual boot into Windows to pair it with an xBox? LOVE it enough to own an old RoKu?

Sry for the verbose post, any input is great.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
edit::

After reading more reviews about the older gen of the 2 Roku, it doenst matter if i buy that one with the intent of using Playon. I still need to run windows. Boooo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.