Removing front fan from Mac Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
I have a late 2006-early 2007 Mac Pro. I need to remove the fan in the front so I can gain access where the IDE ribbon cables connect to the motherboard so that I may replace them. I am good at assembling PCs, but Macs are not really put together to be user-serviceable, they want me to pay for repair which I think is pretty dumb. If I break it, I have no one to blame but myself, right? Right.

Anyway, the fan seems locked onto a small thing that is attached to the memory cage. I found this page online, but the computer in that example seems a bit different than mine. Mine has a metal plate over the section where it is just air on the web page. Are there any good guides on getting this out or can someone walk me through a safe procedure?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might try the breakdown instructions at iFixit: The free repair manual. Also, hang on for a bit.... Several of our senior members and one staff member own Mac Pros. They can probably advise you what to do.

OP
Joe Redifer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I looked at that site and can't seem to find the Mac Pro section.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it, but there are no guides for the Mac Pro, it says.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
There is a screw on the right of the fan unit, undo that using a magnetic screw driver. Use one of the removable PCI-e slot grill covers to remove the fan. Insert into the front of the fan and slowly prize off. There is a clip in power take off beneath the unit so take it slow. Replacing just align the clip, apply pressure until it clicks in, and replace the screw. Pages 57/59 in the service manual, which are worth their weight in gold!

Whilst the fan is out get to work with a brush and cloth and give it a good clean, particularly so the fan blades. if you are feeling adventurous, peel up the cover on the centre of the fan and lubricate with a drop or two only of WD40.

OP
Joe Redifer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Mac Pro must be the only one with a metal shield blocking fan removal. Check out this picture:

macinnards.jpg

The screw is removed (point A).

But the fan goes underneath this metal shield (point B) and will not budge as long as this shield is in place. I cannot remove the shield and there seems to be no way to. Apple REALLY doesn't want me in there.

Also, where are these service manuals? I tried looking twice at the Mac Pro section on the site that chscag linked to above, but no luck. Maybe a direct link instead of just a link to the front page?

OP
Joe Redifer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK I figured it out. It does indeed go under the shield for the heat sink, but not very far.

But all seems OK behind the fan, so not sure why neither of my optical drives will no loner work. Took the time to clean it out, though. Thanks!

EDIT: Those linked videos are awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like you have a an IDE or power cable problem if neither will work. With heat and time they do get brittle and can crack.

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having the same problem in getting the fan out. It looks like a need to remove part B in the picture. Does that shield come off easily?

Fixit video shows it already removed when they take the fans out

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.