i cant partition or wipe my hdd???

Reaction score
I've never had this problem. When I try it says " partition failed with the error. Could not modify partition map because file system verification failed." This is getting irritating. Bad drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It does sound like the drive may be having problems. Have you tried doing a verify and repair while in Disk Utility?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, it looks like it's time to change out the drive. I hope you've been making backups otherwise you'll lose all your data. Make sure you buy the correct replacement drive for your machine. MacBooks and MacBook Pro machines use a 2.5" wide and 9.5 MM thick SATA drive while the iMacs use a 3.5" SATA drive.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes I've made back ups. I've heard sounds before when I bump my machine while carrying when the hard drive is spinning. Will that cause this problem? Thanks Eric

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. If the drive is spinning or accessing data and it gets bumped that can cause damage. If the drive is not spinning (rest) and it gets bumped hard enough, that too will cause damage.

OP
H
Reaction score
I've bumped it plenty since owning it and have heard the rubbing noises from the spinning hdd when I've done so. I'm sure that could possibly be the culprit. I carry this thing around with me often to school etc...

C

chas_m

Also, get in the habit of taking better care of your laptop, like putting it to sleep before moving it for example (parks the heads, prevents damage).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.