• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

For those of you with big screen TV's, how far do you sit?

J

JSchultz

Now, I'm a TV salesman at Circuitcity as my part time gig, and I know how far you SHOULD sit from a certain screen size, but some people MUST have big tv's in little rooms. Anyone else like this? Even my parents for example, have a 57 inch Hitachi projection tv, and we only sit 7.5-8 feet back. I swear the whole freaking TV swallows the room. Sometimes, my eyes have to scan the whole tv just to view it right. Very bogus.

I've always told potential buyers that if you're 7-8 feet away, a 42-46 inch would work fine. As a a matter of fact, we sell 42" plasma's to most people who sit 8 feet away.

thoughts?

OP
U

UncSki1218

i got a 53 hitachi projection...probably about 10 feet back

maybe a little more

OP
J

JSchultz

UncSki1218 said:
i got a 53 hitachi projection...probably about 10 feet back

maybe a little more

See, that makes more sense. smaller TV, and further back. How do you like that distance/size?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have a 45" Sharp LCD. maybe about 8 feet.

OP
J

JSchultz

rman said:
I have a 45" Sharp LCD. maybe about 8 feet.

Nice pick on the TV. We have that on display at our store and that thing looks like heaven from 8-15 feet back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
There was a big article about this in an XBOX 360 promotion magazine. They gave the TV dimensions and how far you should sit. If anyone is interested I will post some of the article.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
52" Sony Projection TV

8ftish

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
around a 55-60" Hitatchi Ultravision. i sit around 6 feet back. unless i want to lay down then i sit around 14ft back.

Reaction score
Darn I wish I had a big screen TV. I still have my 36inch, which I had for about 4 years now. My thing is if it's not broken don't replace it. Now if I had one I would set about 7-8 feet away. I very jealous of you guys that have great models of TV’s

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
There's a 57" big screen in the family room, and I sit about 5 feet away, because my vision is blurry. It's only a matter of time until I go blind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New MACBOOK
panasonic 50 inch rear projection lcd, sit about 6 feet away

OP
S

Steel02001

27 inch Phillips, 5-6 ft.

Ok, so I just wanted to be part of the conversation.

Reaction score
I just bought a 63" Mitsubishi and the wife and i sit right at 18 feet from the screen. Works out just fine for us.

OP
J

JSchultz

I Don't know how some of you guys sit so close and have over 42" televisions. I have some friends like that, and I feel like I'm sitting in the first few rows at the movie theatre. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the short article I read it states the following: (just to remind you, this is from the article).

"For a 40 inch screen you should sit around 8 feet away. For a 50 inch, about 10 feet. And for a 60 inch, 12 feet."

I don't know how true those figures are, but to me it seems about right. Seems a bit easier on the eyes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
17" iMac...about 5 feet away when watching TV

OP
J

JSchultz

TTheInfamous1 said:
In the short article I read it states the following: (just to remind you, this is from the article).

I don't know how true those figures are, but to me it seems about right. Seems a bit easier on the eyes.

Those seem to be spot on, really. So the sad reality is that we have close to a 60 inch TV, and we're about HALF the reccomended distance too close.

I was watching the Wings/Blues game tonight in HD on HDnet, and alot of enjoyment was taken away with the fact that my eyes constantly had to scan, especially with alot of frenzy and puck motion.

**** people who want big stuff just to say they have it!
:radioacti

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
JSchultz said:
Those seem to be spot on, really. So the sad reality is that we have close to a 60 inch TV, and we're about HALF the reccomended distance too close.

I was watching the Wings/Blues game tonight in HD on HDnet, and alot of enjoyment was taken away with the fact that my eyes constantly had to scan, especially with alot of frenzy and puck motion.

**** people who want big stuff just to say they have it!
:radioacti
Yea, seems about right.

I'm in the market for a DLP big screen. Mostly for my Xbox 360 when it comes out. So it was good to come across this as my room is a decent size. Just not big enough for a 50 inch unfortunately. :blind:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel
I have a 46" Sony and sit at 9 feet back. If I watched only HiDef programming I would probably sit about 6 feet. But since I still watch some StandardDef programming I sit back so the picture quality looks a little better.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.