2007 MacBook won't recognize new hard drive

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I did all the research to find a replacement hard drive for my 2007 white MacBook, but it is not recognizing it in the Disk Utility, System Profiler, or Startup Disk.

Did your research include Other World Computing (OWC...Macsales.com)? IMHO probably one of the best places to purchase upgrades (hard drives & ram) for Macintosh computers on the internet.

Did I purchase the wrong hard drive? If so, what is the right one?

Did you format the hard drive first after installing it...so that your Macintosh can read it?

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
I can't remember - I looked a lot of places.

I would love to be able to format the hard drive - but it's not showing up anywhere so I can't! If you can let me know how to find it that would be great - currently I'm booting up from OSX installed onto an external drive. I also have a Carbon Copy Clone of my previous drive that I was hoping to restore from, but, again, can't see the drive...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would love to be able to format the hard drive - but it's not showing up anywhere so I can't! If you can let me know how to find it that would be great - currently I'm booting up from OSX installed onto an external drive. I also have a Carbon Copy Clone of my previous drive that I was hoping to restore from, but, again, can't see the drive...

Have you opened 'Disk Utility" (in the Utilities Folder)?

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Yes - Disk Utility only shows the external drive and the combo drive.

It's not showing in the System Profiler either.

OP
E
Reaction score
When I put my old hard drive back in it works perfectly, BTW - so I didn't actually screw things up in installation!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Send the Samsung back to NewEgg and get a refund. If your old hard drive still works, then all the connectors and SATA cable must be good. And if you correctly installed the Samsung. It might have been dead on arrival.

OP
E
Reaction score
Ugh - not the news I was hoping for - but at least I didn't destroy my pooter!

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.