Help win iMac Hard Drive

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an old iMac G5 circa 2005 (one of the big chunky white ones). It recently gave up the ghost so i bought a new one, but i would like to retrieve the hard drive so i could get my stuff off of it, so i was thinking of making it into an external hard drive. If i did this would i be able to get all my pictures, music and videos off of it? Also what size external hard drive caddy would i need? 2.5" or 3.5"?

Thanks

LillaJade

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, it's possible. You'll need an external SATA 3.5" carrier for the old hard drive from your G5. Note that a carrier for a 3.5" drive will also have an external power supply since it's not able to operate off USB power alone.

You may be better off purchasing an adapter rather than the carrier. I have both and prefer the adapter. Here is one that you can buy. LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.