Few questions about Lion

Reaction score
Hey everyone, quick question about Lion that I think anyone who has updated from Leopard can answer.

When I update will all my existing programs remain on the Mac or will I have to re install them?

I am asking this because Friday I am getting a MacBook Pro from my school with all the software that I will need for my classes. Now unforgivably they are not updating the macs to Lion since they bought them all for us right when this years version came out and don't want to upgrade us with it(darn school, always keeping us out of date).

Now I have no issue paying the $30 to upgrade to Lion if it won't remove every piece of software in my second day of school and then make them do a full recovery of it. Which they will do, I just don't want to be that kid there on day two known for already screwing up the mac.

So in conclusion, will I keep all of my software when upgrading to Lion? Oh, and it has Bootcamp with Windows 7 on it, will it mess with that?

Also I don't know if it matters but here is a list of the software it will come with:
http://www.wit.edu/laptop/docs/MACBuild.pdf
http://www.wit.edu/laptop/docs/BootCampBuild.pdf

And the system specs just because:
Fall 2011 Mac Specifications : Wentworth Institute of Technology: Laptop Program

Thanks, and please get me a definitive answer before Friday morning when I get to stand in a gym with a few thousand MacBook's and drool all over everyone of them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Your URLs are wrong. Will fix them for you. You left out www.

Is all the Software for Intel? If so and it's compatible with Lion, it will all work and if you upgrade, everything will be there after the upgrade.

OP
W
Reaction score
Oh, sorry, I just copied and pasted from the website so idk why it did that. Beta 7 iOS does weird things sometimes.

I'm pretty sure they are all intel based. Pretty much everything has a windows copy of it so I'm guessing that mean it is?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The only issue would be if these machines have a firmware password or other wise protected against students making these sort of modifications to them - you could be up a creek.

I'd be making a bootable cloned backup before trying any sort of modification.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.