Decent Home Design Software?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have been looking for a reasonably priced Home Design package with no success. My wife and I are thinking about doing some remodeling and would be nice to have some decent 3D models to work with.

The Mac APP store has some packages from Punch Software for $150 and $250, but even at that price the ratings aren't good.

Any recommendations?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I read all the reviews and looked at all the products about a year ago and ended up buying the top end package of Home Design Studio. Installed it, played with it for about 20 minutes - maybe - and never even opened it again. Previous version to the one they have now.

Can't really give a review of it. About the only thing I recall, it is not an open it and use it app. You're going to have to read (it does have a paper manual - don't think I opened that) and learn how to use it. This old goat didn't want to invest the time in it. If you're interested, I can check to see if it will run in Lion and will let it go at a good price. I think it's still installed on my MBP.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read all the reviews and looked at all the products about a year ago and ended up buying the top end package of Home Design Studio. Installed it, played with it for about 20 minutes - maybe - and never even opened it again. Previous version to the one they have now.

Can't really give a review of it. About the only thing I recall, it is not an open it and use it app. You're going to have to read (it does have a paper manual - don't think I opened that) and learn how to use it. This old goat didn't want to invest the time in it. If you're interested, I can check to see if it will run in Lion and will let it go at a good price. I think it's still installed on my MBP.

Thanks.

I was tempted to go for that package but suspected I would end up just like you with it. I really identify with the not wanting to invest time in learning a package (my percentage of willing and active brain cells has declined over the years).
I may end up being interested, though, if I can't find something more suitable for the aging and partially brain dead. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Sounds similar to a situation where:

- someone wants to get into photo editing or photo retouching using Photoshop
- purchases Photoshop
- installs the program
- then realizes that you need about 10 college level courses & lots of practice time before you can become proficient with the program.

In the case of home design/remodeling software (at least some titles)...this is the sort of thing a homeowner might do every 5-10 years (if ever)...and (usually) not many folks want that sort of a learning curve for a single "once & done" kind of project.

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, I think that's about the gist of it. Expensive lesson. Although, think I got it on an Amazon Gold Box deal or something. I know I didn't pay their $250 asking price for it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yep, I think that's about the gist of it. Expensive lesson. Although, think I got it on an Amazon Gold Box deal or something. I know I didn't pay their $250 asking price for it.

Maybe it could be resold for at least half what you paid for it.

Of course like almost anything computers related...losing money on computer stuff is "par for the course"!;) When was the last time any of us sold a new computer we bought for anywhere close to what we paid for it!;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Of course like almost anything computers related...losing money on computer stuff is "par for the course"! When was the last time any of us sold a new computer we bought for anywhere close to what we paid for it!

I gave up on selling computer stuff a long time ago. I usually wind up giving it away to a worthy cause or if it's too old and out of date I'll just toss it. About a month ago I tossed several hundred 3.5" floppy disks which contained everything from DOS 3.3 to the old original "Norton Utilities" by Peter Norton. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

If RazorMac is not interested in this, Bob, I would be if the price is right. I'm sick of restarting in Windows to use my Architect Series software by Punch!. I'm already familiar with how the tools work so no learning curve here.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If RazorMac is not interested in this, Bob, I would be if the price is right. I'm sick of restarting in Windows to use my Architect Series software by Punch!. I'm already familiar with how the tools work so no learning curve here.

Go for it!

I'm in exactly the situation Nick described and Bob ran into. Need something I can use now without a lot of hassle, and then probably will never use again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.