Help! Brother HL 2140 printer software update

Reaction score
I downloaded and installed updated software for my Brother HL 2140 laser printer. But when I try to print, I get the following message:

You need to install software to use this printer. To install the software, choose Software Update from the Apple menu. If the software for your printer isn’t available in Software Update, contact the manufacturer of your printer.

I have restarted both my computer (MacBook Pro) and the printer, but still keep getting the message. I've checked for software updates and there are none. Everything else seems fine until I try to print.

Any suggestions?

:'(

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I downloaded and installed updated software for my Brother HL 2140 laser printer. But when I try to print, I get the following message:

You need to install software to use this printer. To install the software, choose Software Update from the Apple menu. If the software for your printer isn’t available in Software Update, contact the manufacturer of your printer.

I have restarted both my computer (MacBook Pro) and the printer, but still keep getting the message. I've checked for software updates and there are none. Everything else seems fine until I try to print.

Any suggestions?

:'(

Do a forum search if you want to see more threads related to this. Basically you are going to have to get the previous driver set and install that. I had exactly the same problem, don't know why Brother hasn't fixed this yet.

I will look for a good link for more info and post back here with it.

EDIT: found it.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...w-printer-doesnt-work-after-lion-upgrade.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.