OS X Lion Downgrade on new MBP

Reaction score
This may be a newb question but I just want to know for sure. I just purchased a new macbook pro with OS X Lion pre installed. I'm quite aware that I should've been asking this before I purchased this, but none the less I'm asking it now. Is it possible for me to downgrade to snow leopard on this mac and transfer my files and programs from my old macbook to the new one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

You could try it, however in most instances new machines are not capable of running superseded software. Lack of drivers etc.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hmm, thanks for your response. Looks like I'll have to upgrade to Logic 9 after all

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This may be a newb question but I just want to know for sure. I just purchased a new macbook pro with OS X Lion pre installed. I'm quite aware that I should've been asking this before I purchased this, but none the less I'm asking it now. Is it possible for me to downgrade to snow leopard on this mac and transfer my files and programs from my old macbook to the new one?

Far as I can tell...the very latest MacBook Pro's are capable of booting OS version 10.6.6. Thus in order to install Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) you need to find/purchase a Snow Leopard install disk that is version 10.6.6 or newer (the latest version of Snow Leopard is 10.6.8).

FYI...Snow Leopard install disks were/are available starting with version 10.6.0...and possibly 1-2 other versions in between 10.6.0 and 10.6.6. If you try to install Snow Leopard (10.6) with an install disk older than 10.6.6...your MacBook Pro may just "spit" the disk back out...or refuse to do the install.

So long story short...if you wish to downgrade your OS from Lion...you need a Snow Leopard install disk that is version 10.6.6 or newer.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.