wierd tingling feeling when i touch pb

M

menace3054

when i use my pb, and my hand rests on the case, i feel a wierd tingling sensation. i feel it also if i rub my hands on any part of the case.. its wierd, it feels like the slightest amount of electricity, and i crazy or has anyone else felt this?

OP
B

badmojo

Get yourself a volt meter or multimeter from Radio Shack and test the case of the PB. This is serious. I'd even contact Apple about this since it could turn into a safety issue. It sounds like some low-level voltage is leaking out, which could possibly be a bad ground somewhere.

OP
S

sursuciofla

menace3054 said:
when i use my pb, and my hand rests on the case, i feel a wierd tingling sensation. i feel it also if i rub my hands on any part of the case.. its wierd, it feels like the slightest amount of electricity, and i crazy or has anyone else felt this?

Sounds like you are falling for your powerbook.

OP
A

Axxis22

badmojo said:
Get yourself a volt meter or multimeter from Radio Shack and test the case of the PB. This is serious. I'd even contact Apple about this since it could turn into a safety issue. It sounds like some low-level voltage is leaking out, which could possibly be a bad ground somewhere.

yes, and if you can prove it, O MAN! Apple would hate that news to leak, I would need some BIG compensations!

OP
M

menace3054

lol im sure its nothing, ill go to radio shack later, i dont even know if az has them

Reaction score
I seriously doubt your going to feal any DC from the power supply. Only thing that's considered high voltage is the PS for the backlighting. Try grounding the case to see if the tingling stops. Save you having to get a volt meter which I doubt would indicate anything.

ed724

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
badmojo said:

You'd need two points of contact (pos and neg) for a volt meter, in otherwords you'd have to be able to tap into the negative shell on the power supply connector and touch the positive to the case if possible.

Or you could try using the Ohmmeter measurement and see if there's any conductivity from the power supply connection (or battery terminals) and the case itself.

I would take it to the "Genius" bar and see what [little] they can diagnose, of course they'll have to send it to Apple for prognosis but in the end that's probably what you'll have to do regardless, even if you do find voltage across the case you'd need to send it in anyway.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
badmojo said:
I agree. Could be a bad ground some where. Get it checked out. I know I wouldn't want to get a shock using it one day.

OP
B

Biturbo V12 AMG

samething happend with my case. then after a week or two i got used to my hand twitching everytime i touched my computer. its really not that bad of a shock it kind of feels like the teins pads after a while your hand goes to sleep.

OP
J

Joolz34

I had this too when I got my powerbook last week, I picked it up from an apple store in the uk. I dont know for sure now how long it lasted for but for the first two days at least I had the "tingle" you mention. One thing that may interest you though, when I got back home to Prague, I plugged in the powerbook adapter to an extension cable in my flat, and the fuses blew. I had to go down into the basement and reset the fuses when I came back up I checked out the adapter and it smelt like something had burnt inside, I havent been able to get into it yet to check. I bought a new adapter which is working fine and it was only today after reading your post that I noticed that I dont have that tingly feeling anymore.
Short version - It might just be the adapter, when I was in the UK I bought the european plugs etc too, and we use the same voltage as the UK.

Joolz

OP
B

bootiemonger

my old roommate and i, both have powerbooks, have experienced this. i noticed it happened when A) using an outlet w/ alot other plugs, ie a powerstrip w/ all the outlets used. or B) in a outlet by itself, but the outlet is at the end or shared w/ several other outlets on a single circuit breaker.

the first time i noticed it was when we were in japan, and i thought i was b/c they use a lower voltage, like 10Hz below the US. but i came back i noticed it happening on other outlets in my apartment, and my parents house here in the states. it only happens for me when i'm plugged into an outlet.

OP
M

menace3054

so i guess the conclusion is that powerbooks are electrically charged, thats good to know

Reaction score
Read the power directly from the PS. See if you get a reading with the meter in the AC volt mode. I seriously doubt that AC is leaking through it. I don't think your battery would be charging.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.