Search in finder doesn't seem to be working

Reaction score
I don't know why but when I do a search in Finder I don't get results on files I know are there. For example, I have a document named "AV Definitive Technology AW6500 Outdoor Speakers.pdf". I do a search on "Definitive" or "6500" and get nothing.

A few weeks ago I got a blue screen and had to do a restore. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. It might, because I just downloaded another pdf with 6500 in the name and it found it.

Please help. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Are you searching via Command-F or using Spotlight in the upper right corner?

Can you find that document you mentioned without using a search tool? I mean, if you know where you put it, you can go look to see if it's still there.

OP
J
Reaction score
I didn't realize there was Control+F and that it was different from the magnifying glass search (which now I know is called Spotlight). Boy I sound ignorant! After a bunch of internet searches I found a way to go into system preferences/spotlight and re-index my files. After that I was able to find the files I was expecting to find.

Is this re-indexing something you need to do periodically? I've also discovered a utility called "Easyfind" which does file searches without indexes. Maybe I'll look into that.

Thanks for your reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It's Command-F, not Control-F. Seems like I've read that indexing is done automatically. I tried a 10-second search on it, but didn't see anything promising.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.