Mac files to pc

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've an old blue & white G3 power mac with about 80gb if files on. I want to transfer these files to my pc. Problem being my pc doesn't know what to do with the files. I understand it's because my mac doesn't use files extension such as .jpg, .doc etc like a pc does. A while ago I saw some conversion software but can't seem to find something now.

Any suggestions how I can manage this? If I had access to a newer mac and transferred from G3 to new mac and from new mac to PC would that enable pc to read files? FYI if it makes any difference I'm running XP on my pc and I think a pretty old version of OSX on my mac. I also have an external disc that I formatted and put all my mac files onto, when I plug it into my pc it won't transfer or recognise the files on the external drive.

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I understand it's because my mac doesn't use files extension such as .jpg, .doc etc like a pc does.

I've not had a problem transferring those sorts of files (at least not since the mid-1990's and before).

My wife & I swap .jpg, .doc, .xls, and .ppt...between Mac's & Windows computers all the time.:)

- Nick

p.s. FYI...older versions of the Mac OS didn't always display the file extension...but it's there for Windows computers to understand it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks pigoo3, I used to have my pc and mac networked and could view certain files like jpegs etc. My mac was bought in 1993 I think. However I really need to transfer all 80 gig of files in one hit ideally and there are loads of obscure file types I'm sure my pc doesn't recognise and it keeps stopping the transfer when it hits something it doesn't know. Of the files it did transfer I've got some files that it knows what they are and others that just have filename and the icon windows uses when it doesn't know what to use to open the file with.... that's why I'm thinking dedicated software or a newer mac interface may be way forward...screen shot attached for info

Screen shot.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks pigoo3, I used to have my pc and mac networked and could view certain files like jpegs etc. My mac was bought in 1993 I think.

"Blue & White" G3 Powermac's were from 1999. Mac's from 1993 in comparison were "dinosaur's".;) If your Mac was from 1993...and you were trying to copy 1993 vintage files to a Windows computer...I could see having issues.

But if you say you're having issues...then you're having issues.:) All I can say is I haven't had trouble copying those types of files.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok I stand corrected, it was my final year not first year of uni I got it, so you're not wrong! (plus a little dodgy mental arithmetic...) I might try again and see if I can figure a work around, I've tried two or three times and always end up frustrated and annoyed. I can remember seeing software that did what I needed, must be a problem for others too if someone thought it worth writing software for it... just outta curiosity what mac are u running?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok I stand corrected, it was my final year not first year of uni I got it, so you're not wrong! (plus a little dodgy mental arithmetic...)

Normally (with many things in life)...that sort of "dodgy mental math" wouldn't be a big deal...especially as we get older!;) But when it comes to computers....the difference between 1993 & 1999...is like 50+ years of advancement in other industries.;)

I might try again and see if I can figure a work around, I've tried two or three times and always end up frustrated and annoyed. I can remember seeing software that did what I needed, must be a problem for others too if someone thought it worth writing software for it... just outta curiosity what mac are u running?

It sounds like (from one of your previous posts)...that you've been trying to copy all of these files in "one-go")...is this right? If so, maybe try copying them in smaller batches or one at a time. I know that this is time consuming...but maybe it will help.

Once copied...have you tied opening any of the files?

For example:

- .jpeg in Photoshop
- .doc, .xls, or .ppt in MS Office

Also realize...that if the files you're trying to copy from your Macintosh were "created/saved" from a much older version of the applications you have on your Windows computer...this could also be an issue. You may have to try some sort of "import" command.

For example. If someone (created a photo file...jpeg) on Photoshop version 3 for the Mac...you may not be able to directly open it in Photoshop version 7 for Windows without using an import (or similar) command. Same thing for MS Office.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
hello again, fair comment on the computer date thing...
Yeah, as I said I've got about 80 gig's (now you're probably thinking that it shipped with a 6gb hd, but I upgraded) so way too many files to do one by one, even batches might be iffy. I've got some lacie back up software that I use to back up pc approx 300gig over 4 drives onto an external drive. I'm thinking I might try hooking up the external mac back up drive and specifying it on the lacie software to back up onto the pc, this seems to work better than copy and paste for large volumes when doing pc - pc so will hopefully work better for mac data to pc, I'll turn on hidden files and folders too if necessary, how does that grab you for a plan?
Thanks for your help with this one, it's been doin my head in for years now...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hello again, fair comment on the computer date thing...
Yeah, as I said I've got about 80 gig's (now you're probably thinking that it shipped with a 6gb hd, but I upgraded) so way too many files to do one by one, even batches might be iffy.

Firstly...do you really have 80gig's of files...or are you including other things such as applications?

I wasn't suggesting that you copy ALL those files one by one...what I was suggesting is see if you can successfully transfer 1 file. Once you figure out how to transfer 1 file successfully...then try that method with 10 files, then 25 files, then 100 files...etc. Maybe trying to transfer 80 gigs of files all at once...is just asking too much...from an older computer running an older OS.

In other words...if you're having problems...take "baby steps" first to figure things out...then go BIG!;)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Yeah pretty much, thinnk I kept the 6 gig for software and the 80gig for files. Quite a few big photoshop ones at that. I have managed to transfer files across, the screeshots above are from my pc and show the files from the mac. However this is not a robust process and I can't monitor the files that get trasferred that the pc doesn't know what to do with. Even once across I don't know what software to choose if I do an 'open with' so it's either repeated guesswork or they are of no use. So this approach, for my requirements doesn't really work. It's not just personal files, it's client files too so I need a reliable way to get them all across, preferably in one hit with all file associations propperly restored. I'd be amazed if there wasn't a propper solution for this as I don't believe I'm the only person to move from mac to pc and want all my files ported across in a useable and reliable manner... baby steps seem to be problematic, this is why I'm prepared to pay for dedicated software, mind from what I;ve managed to find it's a case of this software will do images file formats, another for documents etc another for CAD files etc etc...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.