Microsoft Office 2011 Questions

Reaction score
Hello!

I recently bought MS Office 2011 and sometimes trying find answers to questions for a specific issues can be extremely difficult with Office. So here are my questions;

I have two monitors my 'main' and 'secondary' - I want Word to open up on the 'secondary' monitor every time but it alway opens up on the main. Can and how can I change this?

Second question; I know I can change this next question for 'New' documents but I want it for documents that I receive and open up. So here is the question; I would like Word to open up to view documents received docs at a set 225% along with the window size to be the same every each time it opens - can this be done and how? Can I set it to default to 'page width'

I am using Open Office and it along with most other true Mac products do all of these without issue. Leave it to MS to be 'different' and difficult to set up. You'd think they would learn something from writing Mac software.

Thanks in advance for any input you may offer.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about telling us something about your system? You state two monitors.... What kind of Mac are you using? Year, model? Usually, in order to have the external monitor as primary, it's a matter of dragging the menu bar from the internal to the external monitor. But we need to know what kind of Mac you're using.

Second question; I know I can change this next question for 'New' documents but I want it for documents that I receive and open up. So here is the question; I would like Word to open up to view documents received docs at a set 225% along with the window size to be the same every each time it opens - can this be done and how? Can I set it to default to 'page width'

The parameters for opening a new document can be set by changing the "normal template" which is used as a "boiler plate stamp" for all new documents.

I'm not sure if you set the normal template that way and open a document you received that it will adhere to the normal template parameters. You'll have to try it to see if it will work.

I am using Open Office and it along with most other true Mac products do all of these without issue. Leave it to MS to be 'different' and difficult to set up. You'd think they would learn something from writing Mac software.

Not sure what you're getting at here? If you can do what you want by using Open Office, why did you purchase Office 2011? Also, MS was writing Mac software long before writing Windows software. And you think Open Office is a "true" Mac application? - well, enough said.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi,

Yes I have an iMac 2.5 i5 which came out in Spring of this year. The iMac is the 'main' and the ViewSonic is the 'secondary'. I don't want to switch the monitors as within the Monitor Preferences I simply want Word to open on the secondary monitor but it insists on opening on the iMac every time. Most all other applications that i own will open up the last place they were closed...that was my comment about MS being 'different'. I can move the Word window to the secondary monitor however if I open up another doc it goes to the iMac side...and I have to move it again. In addition to that I have to resize everything again. I don't with Open Office - it remembers my settings. Why did I purchase Office, I know you're trying to help me and I do appreciate it but I don't think that is relevant.

As I mentioned I have changed the template and it does open up to 225% viewing but again only on new documents it doesn't access that preference when you open docs sent to me from other people...which is very, very often all day long.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using Lion or Snow Leopard? Depending on when you purchased it, your iMac may have shipped with Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or Lion. (I have the same year model.) With Lion it may be possible to have Word open in the same place by going to System Preferences, General, and check off the box that states "Restore windows when quitting....". I haven't tried it because I don't use an external monitor with my iMac. It may not work if Word doesn't cooperate.

As I mentioned I have changed the template and it does open up to 225% viewing but again only on new documents it doesn't access that preference when you open docs sent to me from other people...which is very, very often all day long.

I wasn't sure you had already tried changing the normal template. If the documents you receive from others won't open automatically to the 225% you require, you'll probably have to do it manually unless you can write a script or macro to do it for you. Sorry, I don't know of another way.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hey,

Well currently I'm primarily in SL...but am testing out Lion from an external drive to work in compatibility. I don't see me going full time into Lion for a while. Yes that feature in Lion would be very helpful in this case! I just don't understand why Word is like this. It seems like such basic 'Mac' operation...open in the same place it was last opened and at the same window size.

Thanks for your input I do appreciate it.

If anyone else has any suggestions I' all ears...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.