One big Question need help!!

Reaction score
alright here is the situation. my macbook died three months ago. Hard drive failure was the issue. There was big question mark flashing. So last week I decided to finally fix the issue and buy new hard drive and battery. My Cd/Dvd drive doesn't work. I need to install the operating system again because my hard drive died. How am I going to do this? Do I use an external Hard drive? If I downloaded the os or leopard to my external hard drive can I install it on boot up? I really need help on this because honestly I'm not sure where to start or what to do. I can not use my cd/dvd drive because its broken so no installation disk. Also If I downloaded leopard off the internet and put in on usb thumb or external do you think I can install it that way? Let me know and thanks guys.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
If you are using a Core 2 or newer Macbook, id recommend just grabbing the OSX Lion USB thumbdrive and using that. Getting a USB install of Leopard working is a PITA.

OP
M
Reaction score
well i have a late 2006 macbook. My friend downloaded leopard 10.6 on to external hard drive. im just hoping it will recognize the hard drive when boot up. Im just a little uncertain on how to install the os on there with the new hard drive i got esepcially when i dont have working cd/dvd drive. I am a n00b. sorry about that. Any more replys would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
well i have a late 2006 macbook. My friend downloaded leopard 10.6 on to external hard drive. im just hoping it will recognize the hard drive when boot up. Im just a little uncertain on how to install the os on there with the new hard drive i got esepcially when i dont have working cd/dvd drive. I am a n00b. sorry about that. Any more replys would be great.

BC your friend downloaded Leopard 10.6 (which in itself is confusing. Leopard is 10.5 and 10.6 is SnowLeopard) either way they are not down loadable, we can't talk about Pirated anything within this forum. Thanks for understanding.

Cheers

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
get a cheap external dvd reader and the official retail CD and install that way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.