Macbook Pro's SuperDrive as external drive

Reaction score
Hi!

I own a MacBook Pro 13" 2010 and am about to swap the SuperDrive with an SSD. I already have the Optibay case for the Mac's internal HDD, but not for the SuperDrive. What I want to know is, whether I can somehow connect the SuperDrive through the USB port with some sort of opticaldrive-to-usb connector? If not, what sort of technical specifications must I be aware of when buying an external SuperDrive case?
Since I reside inside the EU, I would appreciate not being linked to US retailers.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I realize that you didn't want an US based site, but oh well. You can do the rest of the leg work considering that you know the UK based sites which I don't. What you want is something like this (and they do take BP)

SATA Optical Drive (Superdrive) Enclosure for Unibody Macbook

Doug

P.S. All I did was Google " Turn MacBook Pro SuperDrive into an external drive"

OP
D
Reaction score

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It would be called a Universal Drive adapter. Yes, you can find some cheaper ones probably at amazon and newegg.

OP
D
Reaction score
I figured out the SuperDrive uses a micro SATA controller and found a cheap micro SATA-to-USB cable. Just what the doctor ordered.

Thanks for the replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.