Painfully Slow Mac to Mac File Transfers

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this site and I am hoping someone can help out with a File transfer problem. Unfortunately I'am not a tech guru on these things so please bear with me.

I have a MacPro running 10.6.8 and a MacBook Pro Running 10.7.1. I use a BT wireless router. I have in the past transferred files between the two computers with no probs wirelessly and when I tried this last night the transfer rate was painfully slow. It took 20mins to transfer one folder 160mb and 15mins one folder 120mb. In the past it has never been this slow. I don't want to use ethernet cables as this defeats the problem. I again tried this morning and same problem.

I have a folder on my desk top (1.39gb) which in the past have had no problem transferring, I know it is not going to happen in an instant.

I have recently put lion on the macBook Pro and wondered if this was the problem. So I tested using my daughters MacBook Pro running Snow Leapord and the transfer rates didn't improve.

Does anyone know a cure for this?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
A wireless network will slow to match the speed of the slowest device on the network. If there's an older computer, phone, or some other mobile device bringing the network down, you can see slower transfer speeds. My first recommendation would be to complete the testing triangle... you've tried your computer to the remote computer, your daughter's computer to the remote computer. Now I'd test your computer to your daughter's computer. If the results are the same, you've ruled out any of the three computers being the issue. My best guess would be to reboot the wireless router and see if speeds improve.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Yeah I had already done the triangle of computers, so as you said, I rebooted the router also changed channel and reset everything I could.
Also switched off airport and plugged ethernet cable in, rebooted and got back up running.

Swiched airport back on and unplugged ethernet cable.

Went to transfer to my macbook pro and . . . .

guess what?

ALL BACK TO NORMAL.

Thanks for your advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
A wireless network will slow to match the speed of the slowest device on the network. If there's an older computer, phone, or some other mobile device bringing the network down, you can see slower transfer speeds. My first recommendation would be to complete the testing triangle... you've tried your computer to the remote computer, your daughter's computer to the remote computer. Now I'd test your computer to your daughter's computer. If the results are the same, you've ruled out any of the three computers being the issue. My best guess would be to reboot the wireless router and see if speeds improve.

That actually depends on the router. Newer ones, including the latest airports, will not do that any longer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.