Odd problem with a printer

Reaction score
My wife and I both have MBPs running Snow Leopard. We have a USB connected HP all-in-one printer ( model f4480). It has not given us problems in the year we have had it.

A few days ago, out of the blue, it started showing "error" in the print que whenever I tried to print anything. Thinking it must be a printer problem, I reset the printer and changed the ink cartridges.

That did not resolve the issue so I connected my wife's machine and it printed fine. This lead me to believe it must be a driver/software issue on my machine. First I updated the driver and that didn't work. Then I deleted the driver and re-installed and that didn't work. Finally, I reset all my printers in my preferences (deleted all printers) and that also did not work. Both of my USB ports seem to work fine for all other peripheral devices (hard drives, jump drives, optical drives, etc..).

At this point I am completely puzzled. I am a HS teacher so having my home printer working is important while planning at home. I do not want to replace the printer because it works fine on my wife's machine. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
NOTE: Edited your title so that those familiar with "printer" issues might take a look at your thread. Also, moved to appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forums toshi.

You seemed to have done a good job at trouble shooting yourself. BC of this, all i can come up with it to Repair Permissions.
Empty Trash
Open Disk Utility via Applications>Utilities.
Once open choose youHD in the left column. Make sure the First Aid tab is clicked then hit the Repair Permissions button. Sit back have a coffee. You will get a log window with a lot of Repairs and things that couldn't be repaired. Disregard this window once the process is completed.
Now log out then back in and hopefully that has fixed something that was corrupt somewhere.
HTH
If not post back and we will try weed out the next thing to try.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
How are you sharing is it plugged into one computer and you both use it or do you disconnect it from one to use on another or is it connected via Express or Extreme ?

OP
T
Reaction score
How are you sharing is it plugged into one computer and you both use it or do you disconnect it from one to use on another or is it connected via Express or Extreme ?

We generally just physically plug into the printer, one laptop at a time, using usb.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forums toshi.

You seemed to have done a good job at trouble shooting yourself. BC of this, all i can come up with it to Repair Permissions.
Empty Trash
Open Disk Utility via Applications>Utilities.
Once open choose youHD in the left column. Make sure the First Aid tab is clicked then hit the Repair Permissions button. Sit back have a coffee. You will get a log window with a lot of Repairs and things that couldn't be repaired. Disregard this window once the process is completed.
Now log out then back in and hopefully that has fixed something that was corrupt somewhere.
HTH
If not post back and we will try weed out the next thing to try.

Cheers

This suggestion was also ineffective. I appreciate the response and attempt to help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a thought since printer drivers seem to get updated frequently try plugging in the printer make sure your Mac can see it then do a software update it will only update the drivers for only the printer it can see.

OP
T
Reaction score
Just a thought since printer drivers seem to get updated frequently try plugging in the printer make sure your Mac can see it then do a software update it will only update the drivers for only the printer it can see.

That didn't work either. I am totally at a loss.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you install some third party app or AV program around the same time this happened.

OP
T
Reaction score
Did you install some third party app or AV program around the same time this happened.

Hmm... the only two things that I have installed recently are:

1. driver for HP 750 printer I use at work (same brand of printer but different model and driver saved to different location). I am pretty sure this is not the issue because I uninstalled it and reinstalled it twice in my troubleshooting the home printer.

2. Avervision software bundle to drive and control my USb connected document camera. I don't think this would affect the hp f4480 printer but I suppose it is possible.

Even after all these attempts at fixing, the printer continues to work fine when connected to my wife's MBP. It has gotten to the point where I now have to get up early to get to school for basic print jobs. I am nearly at the point where I office space curb stomp this **** printer and get a new one :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another workaround would be if your router supports wireless printing with a USB
connection just like the Airport Extreme/Express.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.