First MacBook Pro; Suggestions and Opinions, please?

Reaction score
So, I know absolutely nothing about Macs, and I'm looking for some advice before I spend a ton of money on a machine.

I'm about to start college, so I'll be using the Mac for taking notes, writing reports, so on and so forth. I'm a writer, and presently I do a lot of writing on MS Word (using a PC right now), and I also like using programs such as Photoshop and video editors. I'll also need a machine than can handle gaming, as I plan on locking myself in my room all weekend as soon as TES V: Skyrim comes out. (I'm still learning about Bootcamp; I figure I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.)

Right now, the main thing I'm trying to figure out is whether I should go with a Serial ATA hard drive, or get a SSD hard drive. My uncle is also getting a Mac, and he's been sharing some notes with me about hard drives, and it seems the SSD is faster for OS and apps, if not for documents. His plan is to get a 128 SSD and save the OS and apps on it, then save his documents on an external drive, but I think an external hard drive might be a pain to pack around with me on campus and set up for class and stuff.

So I don't know...how do you guys feel about these SSD drives? ...is that redundant?

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm also wondering about RAM, as the two options on the Apple store are:
# 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
# 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB

I assume that means that for 4GB, you get 2 2GB, etc. I've been reading other forums where people suggest just getting the 4GB from Apple, then buying another 4GB from somewhere else and installing it yourself. Thoughts on that?

THanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Personally (since this is your first Mac) I would hold off on the hard drive vs. SSD...and the 4 gig vs. 8 gig of ram upgrades...and mostly focus on which is the best Macintosh for you. Also realize that if you got an SSD...your internal storage capacity would be limited...not to mention VERY expensive.

Also...just so you know...the hard drive/SSD, and ram upgrades are very easy to do (you can do them yourself later as your needs change).

I think that the only "glitch" in your needs is the gaming part. Mac's aren't the best gaming notebooks out there...but they are certainly fine for most games (so it really depends on your gaming needs).

Since MacBook Pro's come in three display sizes (13", 15", and 17")...maybe you can help us out and narrow it down to one. Display size is really a personal choice (you're the one who's going to have to stare at it...not us)...so you're the best "human" to make this decision.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.40MHz, I5P, 8GBM, 500MBHD 7200
Since you are a writer, i know for a fact a few who prefer a 17 inch screen. Some do have a 13'' MBP with a tv hook up and & wireless keyboard & mouse.

SSD are lighting fast, but very expensive. But why do you need it ? current MBP models are fast, and its rarely that you feel any loading time when opening office documents. I use execl documents all the time.

God luck !

OP
C
Reaction score
Oh, I've already decided on the 15 inch. It's what I've already got on my PC, and I find 17 inches too bulky.

The main reason I'm asking about all this is because my uncle has me all confused about what is what. I was just going to go with a regular drive, but then he sent my mom this email about SSD's and things, and that set me off thinking and researching...

And I know Macs aren't really for gaming, but I can't afford both a new PC and a new Mac, and I figured I should put work ahead of play...

Thank you both for the feedback. I think I'll go with the regular drive, then switch if I need to...

And as far as the best Mac for me, I'm pretty sure it's the Pro, since I want a laptop, and the Air just seems...petite? Those are the only choices I'm seeing through the Apple store...am I missing something...?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Oh, I've already decided on the 15 inch. It's what I've already got on my PC, and I find 17 inches too bulky.

The main reason I'm asking about all this is because my uncle has me all confused about what is what. I was just going to go with a regular drive, but then he sent my mom this email about SSD's and things, and that set me off thinking and researching...

And I know Macs aren't really for gaming, but I can't afford both a new PC and a new Mac, and I figured I should put work ahead of play...

Thank you both for the feedback. I think I'll go with the regular drive, then switch if I need to...

And as far as the best Mac for me, I'm pretty sure it's the Pro, since I want a laptop, and the Air just seems...petite? Those are the only choices I'm seeing through the Apple store...am I missing something...?

Sounds like a plan to me. Get the 15" MacBook Pro, regular hard drive, and 4 gig of ram. Done deal!:)

- Nick

p.s. Most likely the 15" MacBook Pro you would be buying costs $1799. But if you're willing to consider a refurbished MacBook Pro (probably a previous generation model)...you could consider this 15" MacBook Pro for $1269:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.