How to have faster internet load times with OpenDNS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I just stumbled upon this while reading a euro Apple MacBook Pro magazine.

Most users probably will not notice much of a change. The one's who do will be those that have internet slowdowns from ISP filtering, and data logging.
This is something that can help eliminate tracking, gain access to websites faster, and put you in control of what you can access directly from the server(if you setup your router with it).

Note: this can be done individually to each computer, or you can chose to do it to your router to cover your whole network.

This can also be done on other operating systems, not just OSX.

Here's a pic of it in the magazine:
20110831-8ic6n86kj5x8y53rfjqfd3rr5p.jpg

Pretty self explanatory from the directions.
OpenDNS can also be setup from the router to increase speeds throughout your whole network, as well as control the information that each computer can access.
Setting up your router requires creating an account on their site(free).
If you do it with your router, it is best to empty all cache(internet, as well as DNS cache).

I have setup my whole network at home today, and I actually noticed a slight, yet noticeable difference with pages that usually had lots of images(forums), and I have pretty good(imo) internet(22ping, 23mbp/s down, 6.5mbp/s up)!

If anything bad happens, or you don't like your experience, you can deactivate your online account, delete the server you listed(208.67.22x.22x), and everything will go back to the way things were.

Though all the changing required to access OpenDNS are easily reversible, if you are not comfortable doing this, or don't understand what OpenDNS does, or how it functions, don't do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What was the difference - 10% etc? You can check this on on Speedtest.com.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've been using OpenDNS for the past 2 1/2 years. It doesn't actually give you any faster up or download speeds but rather faster opening of web sites. The Google public DNS does the same thing.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
What was the difference - 10% etc? You can check this on on Speedtest.com.

1459935559.png

The download/upload actually aren't too different from the normal, considering there is already some fluctuation in it to begin with. This test is run while having my PowerMac, MBP, HP, and tv video box all connected to the internet. It can be a bit higher with them off, especially the tv. My ping seems to run consistently at 23 while it has always been around 26-27. What I've noticed is that, in most cases, instead of load pages bit by bit, it will load something all at once. I like that! It runs great with clicktoplugin with safari 5.1. I'm happy.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This is something that can help eliminate tracking
It's just someone new to track you. ;)

I've been using OpenDNS for the past 2 1/2 years. It doesn't actually give you any faster up or download speeds but rather faster opening of web sites. The Google public DNS does the same thing.
I've been using it here for quite some time as well. To be honest, my favourite bit is the autocorrection of mistyped URLs. Sometimes I type too fast for my own good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.