Moving out of the country... how to have AT&T unlock Iphone 4?

Reaction score
Hey everyone I am new to the forums so a quick hello to everyone.
I am moving from the states to Canada and have an Iphone 4 locked to AT&T with about a year or so left on my contract. I am willing to pay off the Early Termination Fee or to find someone to take over my contract, but my biggest worry is having my Iphone unlocked so that I can use it in Canada with Rogers or Fido. I have called AT&T and they said they will open a ticket for me to see if they can get me an 'unlock code' as they don't have one for my device at the moment... What are the chances that they will actually unlock the phone for me and does anyone know of another way for me to convince them to help me unlock my phone?

Also on a side note, if they do unlock my phone, how will I know? Do I need to restore it on Itunes or will simply connecting it be enough?

Thanks guys for the help :)

UPDATE:
Just called AT&T, they told me to call Apple. So I called Apple and they told me to call AT&T. So I told the Apple representative the situation and they offered to stay on the line with me as we contacted AT&T again, so we did that. He explained the situation to the AT&T rep who was just as clueless. The 3 of us came to the conclusion, after searching through the hidden documents that AT&T reps have access to, that the company heads have restricted anyone giving out unlock codes or unlocking Iphones. The same has been said to Apple reps. So even if they wanted to, they have no access to it.

Any other ideas? I seem pretty doomed.

Reaction score
same situation as you

AznGreanTea, I am in the same situation as you. I recently moved to Italy and find my AT&T iPhone4 is pretty much an Ipod touch. I went to vodaphone to see if my phone can use their SIM and was told I need my phone UNLOCKED to accept their SIM. I have spent all night researching websites selling software to "unlock and jailbrake" my phone. I am skeptical and hesitant to to do this my phone because I do not want to be slaved to a website to update my phones software but at the same time I do not want to purchase a new iPhone just to use in this country.

I would like to know if you were able to unlock your phone and if so, how did you do it? I would also like to know if there is anyone who can recommend a reputable unlocking software. A company or website that has been around for a while.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would also like to know if there is anyone who can recommend a reputable unlocking software. A company or website that has been around for a while.

You would be better off finding someone in Italy who can do the unlocking. If you're reluctant about unlocking the phone, sell it and buy one that's already unlocked. I know it will be expensive but you may be better off doing it that way rather than "bricking" your phone with a bad unlock.

Reaction score
thank you

chscag,
Thank you for your reply and honest opinion. I will look into finding someone here who might be able to unlock the phone for me. If someone here does unlock it, would it be from one of these software websites or do phone companies have "rights or permissions" to perform these services?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I doubt a phone company in Italy would unlock it for you. You'll probably have to find a private firm or service. Don't be quick to trust an un-locker web site. Some of them are pure scams in that all they want is your money.

C

chas_m

Yeah, sorry I didn't see this before now. AT&T will *not* unlock iPhones, period full stop. They just won't do it at all. Somebody should sue them over it, but until they do (and win) there ya go.

You don't say what version of iOS you're running, but if its 5.0 or higher I don't think there's any option for you at present. I don't know of any successful unlock 5.x. There may be one eventually.

If you're running an older version of iOS, there may be some hope. As was said above, if you're hesitant to do this yourself, the "best" method is to sell your current iPhone and buy a factory-unlocked iPhone either in the US or from a carrier in your destination country.

I unlocked my iPhone (the original model) when I moved to Canada because my contract was already long finished and when I moved here the iPhone wasn't yet available. Overall this worked out well for me but now I have an iPhone 4 which I haven't unlocked (the company will do it for me at no charge at the end of my contract).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.