Can't Check mail Manually

Reaction score
I searched all over for the answer but can't find it, so i am hoping i hasn't been posted before.

Basically I want to only have Mail check my email when I ask it to. For years I had it set up to check every minute and I was happy with that. But in the interest of efficiency, I want to only check my mail when I personally click on the "Get Mail" Button on the top left of the app.

I have gone into the preferences and have set the "Check for new messages" to "Manually" but it isn't working. I am not running Lion yet, but this was also the same issue in Tiger and Leopard years ago. Now I am trying to fix it for good in Snow Leopard in both my '07 macbook and brand new mac mini.

Is anyone else running into this problem and having the messages still come through every minute even though you have set the preferences correctly (to manually) and restarted your computer, etc.

Just so you know, I also tried "hourly" and the messages still come through every minute or really every time someone sends one. Thanks for the help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try navigating to: MacIntosh HD/Users/your user name/Library/Preferences/

Look for the "com.apple.mail.plist" file and move it to your desktop or delete it but don't empty the Trash. Let's see if that works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.