Testing 2.7 g5

Reaction score
I was looking at craigs list and see a 2.7 dp for sell for 150 bucks with no os. Can I take my drive from my 1.8 dp and put it in there to test the system. I know with windows this is not possible unless units are the same but I don't know if this will work because both machines are g5's

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was looking at craigs list and see a 2.7 dp for sell for 150 bucks with no os. Can I take my drive from my 1.8 dp and put it in there to test the system. I know with windows this is not possible unless units are the same but I don't know if this will work because both machines are g5's

Depends what OS version is on your 1.8 dp. The 2.7 is a newer model PM G5...and requires a slightly newer version of the Mac OS.

If this doesn't make sense I'll explain.:) The "newest" PM G5 1.8 dp requires at least Mac OS 10.3.5. The PM G5 2.7 requires at least OS 10.4.0.

So if the OS version on your PM G5's 1.8 HD is 10.4.0 or newer...then yes, you can use your HD to test the PM 2.7. I actually had a person do this when I was selling a PM G5 a while ago.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm running the latest version of leopard. But it looks like this is the second least reliable g5 produced. Maybe I'll stick with the 1.8 dp it's only a garage computer for iTunes and backups
Power Mac G5 Overview

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm running the latest version of leopard. But it looks like this is the second least reliable g5 produced. Maybe I'll stick with the 1.8 dp it's only a garage computer for iTunes and backups
Power Mac G5 Overview

That's an interesting link/chart you included...thanks!:) Yeah...all of the PM G5's ran hot...that's why they need 9 fan's to keep them cool.

Of course as you saw in the list...most of the PM G5 models get low/bad scores (C- is pretty common)...even the 1.8ghz models. Honestly...$150 is a pretty good price for a 2.7ghz dp PM G5...and 2.7ghz is a lot faster than 1.8ghz. Especially if it has a decent amount of ram...and it probably has a better video card than your 1.8ghz dp PM G5.

If it works ok...and I was looking for a PM G5...I would buy it!:) The only PM G5 models that I definitely would stay away from would be the water-cooled models. But like you mentioned...your demands for it aren't real high (iTunes & backups)...so your call.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For what it is worth would not personally take on a liquid cooled computer that is now what? seven years old? And the 2.7 is liquid cooled.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For what it is worth would not personally take on a liquid cooled computer that is now what? seven years old? And the 2.7 is liquid cooled.

Thanks for the reminder Harry...I forgot the PM G5 dual 2.7ghz was water-cooled. I definitely agree...stay away from this one!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.