MacBook Pro can't handle 5 apps at once?

Reaction score
I use a new (as of July '11) MacBook Pro with OSX Lion. Can anyone help me understand why a Force Close box is prompted when I run Finder, Safari, Pages, Rockmelt and Spotify at once? My old MacBook seemed to handle much more than this just fine.

"Your Mac OS X startup disk has no more space available for application memory."

I have a hard time believing I've overloaded it already.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Screen Shot 2011-08-31 at 9.29.32 AM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
"Your Mac OS X startup disk has no more space available for application memory."

Sounds to me that your hard drive is too full!

The Mac OS needs a certain amount of "swap file space" on the hard drive...and your hard drive doesn't have enough free space for the computer to run properly.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
How much RAM (Memory) does your MBP have? Also like Nick asked, how full is your hard drive?

I run 15 apps at the same time here with 4GB RAM. Never one issue with Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Wanna bet it's been doing the backup to local drive for a while?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wanna bet it's been doing the backup to local drive for a while?

Yeah...that would certainly fill up a HD pretty fast. Be a real (<slaps head>) bummer if the HD crashed...and the backup was on there!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I run 15 apps at the same time here with 4GB RAM. Never one issue with Lion.

WOW...15 apps. at the same time...you're a WILD MAN!;)

I hope a lot of those are small apps (low ram needs)...otherwise I would think that 4 gig of ram would be getting kinda thin with 15 apps. open!;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This new Time Machine method of backing up to the internal HD when the external HD is not attached will suck up drive space very fast. I've gotten into the habit of turning off the Automatic Backup feature of Time Machine since I don't keep the external attached at all times.

However, new users and users who are not aware of this new "feature" will easily run into the same problem as the OP - if they don't keep the TM external drive attached. I think Apple should have an option in the Time Machine preferences to turn this "feature" on or off. Just my opinion.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
WOW...15 apps. at the same time...you're a WILD MAN!;)

I hope a lot of those are small apps (low ram needs)...otherwise I would think that 4 gig of ram would be getting kinda thin with 15 apps. open!;)

- Nick

Chat clients, editors, Weather apps, Twitter, Bible app. Most take very little RAM. Nothing the OP has open really takes that much either.

Only issue lately with RAM is Safari 5.1. It used to only go up to say 1GB. Just lately (since the 10.7.1 update I have caught it at 2GB RAM! They need to do something with that! It was no where near this bad before that last update here.

chscag, VERY GOOD POINT. I still have not gotten used to that new feature. Thanks for the reminder. I bet a lot of Lion users do not know what is going on and leave TM going all the time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Regarding the Time Machine backup feature with Lion. Seems sort of strange that it would have an auto backup onto the internal drive. To me...the main point of a backup...is a user has an external backup if the primary HD crashes/dies.

But then again...any backup is better than no backup...in case someone just accidentally deletes, over-writes, or modifies a file (and we're not talking about a hard drive crashing).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Windows has been doing this sort of semi-backup for years. All it really does is protect from accidental file erasure or altering. Either way, were I using Lion.. I'd turn it off.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Windows has been doing this sort of semi-backup for years. All it really does is protect from accidental file erasure or altering. Either way, were I using Lion.. I'd turn it off.

That's a great way of putting it..."semi-backup"!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.