Airport Extreme vs. Time Capsule vs ?

Reaction score
I'm a new Mac user and I'm very interested in the Time Capsule / Time Machine solution to backups. A few questions I'm hoping to find info for before deciding how to proceed :

1 : Are Time Capsule and Airport essentially the same from a router standpoint? Is the range/performance good on both devices?

2: Does it makes sense to buy the Airport and add my own USB hard drive that can be upgraded at will?

3. Other than wanting to get totally geeked out with Apple gear, is there a reason to use the Apple networking/storage products over say a Linksys router with a Western Digital hard drive?

4. Could I attach a USB hard drive to Time Capsule, and use it as a network drive while TC handles the regular backups?

Thanks for any advice / opinions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
1.) Yes
2.) I did because I already had an AEBS and I believe backups are slightly faster with TC.
3.) User preference but IMO Apples works better and last longer.
4.) Yes but I would use a networking drive like a WD Livebook.

OP
K
Reaction score
Time Capsule setup and working, effortlessly. WiFi signal strength is excellent and I've got about 4 hours left on my initial backup.
Like my friends have been telling me for years about Apple, "Stuff just works".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.