.avi and .mvk files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 15", 2.2GHz quad core i7, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD 5400 - rpm
So I have over 3 terabytes of movies, music and tv (many of these are DVD's I ripped before I moved out). As I am sure you can appreciate this does not all fit on my MacBook Pro hard drive, nor do I have the space or time to convert everything I want to watch to an .mp4. Is there a way I can "trick" iTunes into letting me play .avi and/or .mvk files? Everyone recommends handbrake to me but I chose what I watch on a whim, so I don't want to spend ages sitting there while a season converts, nor do I have the space left to keep all these converted files.

Does anyone know a way I can get around this?

EDIT: Sorry I was tired when I wrote this but I don't know how I forgot, I want to stream it to my APPLE TV (2) I have 2 external HDD's (1TB and 2TB) but basically what I want to do is watch all this stuff via apple tv. Any halp would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
No need to trick at all, you have opttions for playback such as Quicktime, with the Perian plug in, VLC player, or PLEX, to name 3.
All of these will play what you have natively.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
It's possible he has an Apple TV and wants to stream his library from iTunes. If not, then I'd go the VLC route. Perian does work with QT, but I've never understood why there isn't a Perian plugin to work with iTunes, considering that it still uses QT for video playback.

You should also seriously consider getting an external HD purely for playback of movies. I keep all of my movies on externals, which plug directly in to my TV, no need for a computer. My LG does avi and mkv and some Mp4 files as well.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
True, there is that possibility. More info please OP?
As Doug says, if your TV can handle it, plug it straight in from and external HD, or invest in a media player that can handle all formats. I personally use a Netgear NeoTV 550, which streams everything and plays everything!

OP
MacJinjo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 15", 2.2GHz quad core i7, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD 5400 - rpm
True, there is that possibility. More info please OP?
As Doug says, if your TV can handle it, plug it straight in from and external HD, or invest in a media player that can handle all formats. I personally use a Netgear NeoTV 550, which streams everything and plays everything!

Sorry I was tired when I wrote this but I don't know how I forgot, I want to stream it to my APPLE TV (2) I have 2 external HDD's (1TB and 2TB) but basically what I want to do is watch all this stuff via apple tv. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Sorry I was tired when I wrote this but I don't know how I forgot, I want to stream it to my APPLE TV (2) I have 2 external HDD's (1TB and 2TB) but basically what I want to do is watch all this stuff via apple tv. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jailbreak your AppleTV 2 and install XBMC or Firecore's Media Player. http://firecore.com/atvflash-black now you can play whatever formats you want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.