Mac restarts if I touch parasite startup items

k66

Reaction score
Hello,

In the Prefs / Accounts / Startup window , there is a long long list
very very very very very very very very very very
long long long long long long long,
with some start applications that I asked, & most others "unknown" that i didn't.
When I try to touch on that list, everything disappears instantly (current apps, etc) and OS Tiger backs to the start window session as if I had asked "Restart".

Why?

It comes from my account. Others accounts in the computer work fine.
Autorisations has been repaired.
OnyX told me that all .plist are correct ...

A solution?
thank you

Ti DVI
Computer Name: PowerBook G4 15 "
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (3.2)
Processor speed: 1 GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Version of the boot ROM: 4.5.3f2
System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8L127)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginitems.plist

Reboot

OP
K

k66

Reaction score
Well, thanks MacsWork,

But there is not "com.apple.loginitems.plist" in this computer...
Neither a loginitems file nowhere !

-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well, thanks MacsWork,

But there is not "com.apple.loginitems.plist" in this computer...
Neither a loginitems file nowhere !

-
There are 3 library folders on your Mac and Spotlight won't search in them by default:

You need to check the "Library" folder in your home folder (where your music, documents etc. are stored)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Use the GO menu in the Finder and select Go To Folder.

Enter ~/Library/Preferences

In the box that pops up. The file is located there.

OP
K

k66

Reaction score
Thanks all,

I was looking with EasyFind in all this computer. I was looking with Finder "comand F". I was looking manually in 3 library folders. & there is not a "loginitems" file nowhere !
Then ? What next ?

Reaction score
He's right guys, there is no loginitems in Tiger. Just fired up my old B&W and looked...
it's called loginwindow.plist
Should be in ~/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist

OP
K

k66

Reaction score
Well, it seems that we go forward.
& a little thing more : the good (bad) file is com.apple.loginwindow.plist or just loginwindow.plist ??

Thanks

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Here's a trick that should identify the culprit:

1. Grab one of the suspect files and make note of its location.

2. Drag the file somewhere like the Desktop then log out and back into the same account. If the problem goes away the file you drug to the desktop was the problem.

3. If the problem remains try the same process with the second file. After logging in and testing this time you can delete the offending file since I new one was created during login.

The "good" file left on the desktop can either be put back in the original location or deleted if you don't mind rebuilding the list of login items you want.

OP
K

k66

Reaction score
Thanks again,

The situation is changing & a little better ....

I removed the loginwindow.plist file from user preferences folder and restarting, Accounts / OpeningItems window is clean, I did put my software and can touch and change without crashing. However there are other problems:
1)
Spark is not hidden (as requested by the checked box) and worse, any of its hot key shortcuts remained alive. Does this mean that Spark keeps its data in this file loginwindow.plist?

2)
I think the basic problem remains because in the Accounts / Opening window are coming parasites (unsolicited) :
MicrosoftMouseHelper
Microsoft Database Daemon,
several times returning although I erase it.
All are of type "unknown"

Your opinion?
A solution?
thank you

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Don't have much of an answer as far as number 1 is concerned yet. It is not one I am familiar with.

As far as the second point is concerned that I might be able to shed some light on. There are some legitimate things that, although you did not install them directly, get installed as part of something else. I have something like that with a piece of software called "Better Touch Tool". It installed something in my login items that I did not specifically install but it is a necessary part of the software. That is apparently what happened with the Microsoft extensions you listed. I suspect there is some Office feature that depends upon these items.

If it comes from a program you remember installing such as one of the Office components I wouldn't worry about it being identified as unknown.

Reaction score
The Microsoft Database Daemon is part of Entourage and other Office apps. If you use Entourage for mail or any other Office app you need it.
MouseHelper I've never heard of. Possibly a mouse driver/setup util for a Microsoft mouse you used in the past?
Spark seems to be a hotkey manager. If you don't want it, uninstall it.

OP
K

k66

Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks all,

1) Spark
Yes I use it. It works fine now. I didn't understand why yesterday hotkeys where gone away...

2)
Ok, Microsoft Database Daemon is part of Office apps, & MouseHelper works for a mouse driver for a Microsoft trackball that I use.
The problem is that these start items are coming several times (it seems at each computer's start) & the list in the Accounts / Opening window grows & grows....

OP
K

k66

Reaction score
The problem is that these start items (Microsoft Database Daemon) are coming several times when MS programs work (or at computer's start or shutdown) & the list in the Accounts / Opening window grows & grows...
Is it a way to avoid it ?
Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.