Delete emails on iPhone 4, Entourage 2004 with POP account

Reaction score
When I delete emails on my iPhone4, they are not deleted from my computer (MacBook Pro). The email account I am checking is a POP account, which has my business name in it, so I really don't want to set up a new IMAP account - unless there is a way to set up an IMAP but keep the same email address?

I changed the settings on the iPhone under the Advanced Tab to "Delete From Server when removed from Inbox." Sent myself a test email with Entourage closed, the iPhone picked it up and I deleted it. When I opened Entourage, there it is.

In the Entourage settings, I have tried the same test as above with both "Leave a copy of each message on the server" enabled and disabled, and "Delete messages from server when deleted from this computer" enabled, but to no avail. I have a headache coming on now, help, lol! Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Simply put, if you want synchronization across devices, your only real option is to go with an IMAP mail server. POP simply doesn't have this functionality.

Unfortunately, you can't just change an account over to IMAP, your server needs to support it. If it doesn't you're out of luck.

OP
A
Reaction score
Blurg....So how does a Blackberry function? That's what I used to have and it deleted from phone and server, same POP account. Just trying to learn something here.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Blurg....So how does a Blackberry function? That's what I used to have and it deleted from phone and server, same POP account. Just trying to learn something here.

I'm not entirely familiar with Blackberry, but as I understand it, they use their own server product to handle email. How that interacts with a 3rd party mail server, I can't really say.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.