MacBook screen won't turn on? [Help]

Reaction score
hey all, new to the forums and this is my first post.
I have a MacBook (2008 I believe) and when I came home today I opened it up after sleep and the screen wasn't turning on and nothing was showing on screen. I tried re-booting, but the screen still was blank, but the light at the bottom is on so i know the computer is on. help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to the correct forum. The iOS forum is for mobile devices not notebooks.

Take the machine into a lighted area or shine a flashlight on the screen. Can you see anything at all on the screen? We need to find out if it's a backlight problem or if the machine has not come out of sleep.

I'm assuming you tried rebooting?

OP
F
Reaction score
Moved to the correct forum. The iOS forum is for mobile devices not notebooks.

Take the machine into a lighted area or shine a flashlight on the screen. Can you see anything at all on the screen? We need to find out if it's a backlight problem or if the machine has not come out of sleep.

I'm assuming you tried rebooting?

yes I have tried re-booting. and this time when i turned it on it made a faint sound, that sounds similar to the little sound It makes when it turns off. the screen has nothing on it at all, I couldn't see anything with a flashlight. but the litte white light below the arrow keys is at a solid white.
if that means anything.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, it looks like a hardware problem. We need to run some tests on the machine: Run the Apple Hardware Test. For that you're going to need your original install disks you received with the machine. Probably Leopard if it's a 2008 model. See the following LINK. Let us know the results and we can go from there.

OP
F
Reaction score
OK, it looks like a hardware problem. We need to run some tests on the machine: Run the Apple Hardware Test. For that you're going to need your original install disks you received with the machine. Probably Leopard if it's a 2008 model. See the following LINK. Let us know the results and we can go from there.

I wish I could. see I'm 15 and dad bought me the computer at a pawn shop about 2-3 years ago. I don't believe it came with any disk's I will scour around in our computer junk and see what type of things I can come up with

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does the disk look like? In other words, is it Leopard or something else?

OP
F
Reaction score
What does the disk look like? In other words, is it Leopard or something else?

the disk is from 2005 :/
I set up an appointment at the apple store, to go in and get it checked out. I skype called my cousin who knows a fair bunch about Mac, he gave me all these things to do, and none of them worked :p I guess I'll have to tuff it out until Friday.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.