Antivirus?

Reaction score
Apparently I have some virus sending spam over msn, so what antivirus should I get for the imac?

At the moment I have nothing.
Preferably something free please!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are no viruses in the wild that can impact on OS X. Whatever it was from MSN may have been a Windows variety. Also, if you're receiving SPAM from MSN, change your password to a strong one. A bot may have gotten access to your account and is sending SPAM.

If you want a good free AV program for your Mac, download the free ClamXav from here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If no viruses affect macs, why is there antivirus software?

Because they know people will purchase the product out of fear if they don't know all the facts.
If you look close enough venders will also sell redundant apps that the Mac
came with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
There are no antivirus' that we recommend. There are no Mac virus' that send spam. Do you have Windows running on your Mac? That could be the culprit.

It is far more likely that your msn account has been hijacked. Your address book has been copied, and then they probably don't even bother using your account anymore and just show your account as return address.

My MSN Account has been hacked [Solved]
My Hotmail And MSN Account Hacked? Change Password Now! | alternate email, computer, Download, email account, Facebook, Gmail, hack into hotmail, hack into hotmail account, hacked hotmail account, hacked hotmail password, hotmail passwords, Microsoft
MSN customer service phone numbers and support
MSN Email Hacking Scam | Canadian Neighborhood Pharmacy | marketnewsstore.net | Raief
https://support.msn.com/default.aspx?&st=1&wfxredirect=1

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If no viruses affect macs, why is there antivirus software?

Mostly to find and kill WINDOWS virus's so you will not pass them on to your Windows friends.

There are a couple of Maleware Trojans, but I have a feeling Chscag and gsahli are right and it's something compromised on your MSN account. Seen this a few times now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 10.5.8 2.53 Ghz Intel Core Duo 4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
yeah, its not the mac but your msn account has been hacked. I have a hotmail account and even after changing to a complex password, people in my address book would get junk mail from time to time.

The solution, cleared out my address book. Problem solved. :)

Reaction score
As have been pointed out, there are no viruses for the Mac. There is a growing threat from fake anti-virus programs both from dubious websites and from regular companies who trade in fear and ignorance. The best thing you can do to keep yourself safe is to NOT install any anti-virus software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.