How to Fix Safari ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
Something is terribly wrong with Safari ...

I keep getting a error message:

"Safari can't connect to the server."

"Safari can't open the page "http://www.apple.com/startpage/" because Safari can't connect to the server "www.apple.com".

Doesn't matter which webpage I try to access, Safari doesn't work anymore.

I've tried deleting the Cache, Cookies, plist.

I just deleted Safari altogether and all Safari files that I could find, emptied the Trash, then downloaded the most recent version of Safari from Apple, and installed.

Still have exactly the same problem.

Several days ago, I Reset Safari, which fixed the problem for a couple days. I've tried to Reset Safari many times today, but still have the same problem ....

Is this an issue with Snow Leopard 6.8? Any ideas how to fix this issue ... ???

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tried another browser? Always a good idea to have more than one browser on hand for times like this. Opera and Chrome both work well in OS X. Firefox right now is having identity problems with their "browser version of the month series". I would avoid it for now until it stabilizes.

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
Have you tried another browser? Always a good idea to have more than one browser on hand for times like this. Opera and Chrome both work well in OS X. Firefox right now is having identity problems with their "browser version of the month series". I would avoid it for now until it stabilizes.

I'm online now with Firefox. There must be a fix for this issue with Safari ...

I just ran the Disk Utility this morning. Several Days ago ran Disk Warrior. No apparent problems.

Everything else seems to be working just fine on my computer. We have seven devices that are getting online daily, not counting the X-Box.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is a very strange issue for sure. I have not ever had that here as long as the Internet was working. Let me do some more searching around and I will get back to you on it.

Besides Firefox, do all other internet apps, Email, Chat, ETC all work? Just Safari not getting a network connect?

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
That is a very strange issue for sure. I have not ever had that here as long as the Internet was working. Let me do some more searching around and I will get back to you on it.

Besides Firefox, do all other internet apps, Email, Chat, ETC all work? Just Safari not getting a network connect?

Yes, this is very strange indeed .... Today I opened one of my e-mail messages and clicked on one of the links, which automatically opened up Safari with the webpage!!!

I tried several other webpages, and sure enough, Safari is back in operation!

Very strange ..... I've been searching the Internet for the past week or so for answers, but have not found any yet .....

I've tried the solutions that people have offered, and none of them worked. But then I click on a link from my e-mail and Safari works again ....

I've tried closing and re-starting Safari several times, and it still works fine.

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
Safari Is Still Not Working ...

Just when I though that Safari was working ok, it is now doing exactly the same thing as before ....

I've tried deleting the plist many times, resetting Safari many times, clicking on links in my e-mail messages and other active links, which open Safari, but it still will not work. Restarted my computer, but that also did not help.

Looks like the newest version of Safari has some very serious bugs ....

Hopefully the developers will fix this bug soon ....

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8

Everything else seems to be working just fine. Google Chrome and Firefox (just updated) are working. E-mail (Mail) is working with no issues.

The only problem I'm having is with Safari. We have seven devices that are getting online everyday with not issues, not counting the X-Box.

Looks like the newest version of Safari has some very serious issues with bugs ......

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
One other note:

All day yesterday up until late last night, Safari was working just fine. I shut my computer down last night, then when I booted up this morning, Safari would not work.

Could this somehow cause Safari to not work ... ???

Maybe Safari will mysteriously start working again ......

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.