Having problems getting Gmail to MacMail

Reaction score
Hello -

I am a new member and hoping someone might be able to help me. My team recently switched from Verio to Gmail and then most of us have set-up our gmail to go into our Mac Mail. The issue is that some of the team is not getting member emails, while others are. They are not coming into their gmail accounts or their MacMail. I cannot tell if this is a Gmail issue or a MacMail issue, so hoping maybe someone can shine some light on any similar issues within mail set-up. Thanks so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure that each member of the team has followed the GMail - Mac Mail setup instructions that are located on the GMail web page for instructions and options.

GMail works well with Mac Mail both in POP and IMAP modes.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you! Does it matter if all members use POP or IMAP to make it synch up? Everyone seemed to follow instructions, but we are missing some emails from team members...very weird.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's actually best to have everyone setup using IMAP. The reason is so that wherever you're checking the mail from (iPad, iPhone, Mac, or even a PC) it will be synced. In other words mail that you read from your Mac will show up as read on your iPhone and vice versa.

I suspect the reason you're missing some mail is that it hasn't been synced properly. Everyone should be using the same method. Also, make sure that folks in your team are not selecting the option to remove mail from the server after it's downloaded to Mac Mail. That way you can always go back to the server and move the mail back to their inbox in case someone missed a piece of mail.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.