• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Help / advice on iDVD / DVD production

Reaction score
Hi guys this may be a simple one for some of you. In previous years I have produced a DVD of the school show, edited it in iMovie and burnt off copies via iDVD. Since last year I have upgraded my iMac to Snow Leopard and this year I am having various problems with, principally, iDVD in that it seems to be finding all sorts of reasons to fail. Most notably it ejects the dvd then says its finishing ( 2 minutes to go),and an hour later it still has 2 minutes to go.
Versions are as follows:
OS X 10.6.8
iDVD 7.1.2
IS there an incompatibility issue I'm not aware of or am I better buying something like Toast instead? (If so, can I import the movie as I do in iMovie?).
Hope someone can help here.

Alan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think the first thing you need to do is determine if your optical drive is working correctly. An optical drive with a marginal laser will cause that exact symptom you're experiencing to occur. Buy a can of compressed air from Radio Shack or other store which sells electronic accessories, and blow a couple of short blasts in the drive. The lens may be covered with dust.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
An idea to try out the above theory, instead of burning, try saving the Project as a disk image via the File menu. If that's successful you can then burn that using Disk Image,

OP
F
Reaction score
Burning A DVD

HI Guys I tried both the compressed air to clean teh drive and still had the problem. I then tried teh disc image solution and received this message:

The disc can’t be burned because because communication between the computer and the disc drive failed (error code 0x80020022).

Does this mean I have a drive failure??

Al

OP
F
Reaction score
Update

Me again. Have done some digging on this and it appears to be a common fault. In most cases a new drive seems to solve it. However I have repaired disc permissions and am rerunning the job to see what transpires.

cheers

Al

OP
F
Reaction score
A further update

Hi guys thanks for the suggestions, still no luck unfortunately.
I've run repair disc permissions, still no luck.
I've burned a CD from iTunes - OK
I've burned a DVD from iTunes using the same DVD's for the concert - OK

When i go back to the school show recreate the disc image, burn it to disk - same error.

I'm completely stumped.

Al

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.