Help with connecting apple cinema display to my mac

Reaction score
I have a G5 powermac, with osx 10.4.11

I bagged an Apple 17" Studio Display M7649 (LCD/ADC) cheap off ebay as i need
a new monitor, i'm just wondering if it will work with osx.10.4.11 as the specs
for the display say supported macosx is 9.2.2 or X 10.1.3+ 3.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i'm just wondering if it will work with osx.10.4.11 as the specs
for the display say supported macosx is 9.2.2 or X 10.1.3+ 3.

No problems whatsoever. In fact if you were to upgrade the OS on your Powermac G5 to 10.5.8 (the newest OS the Powermac G5 can run)...the monitor would still work fine.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks Nick. Am I right in thinking this display simply plugs into the mac and doesnt have it's own power supply? (I should have checked these things before i bought it really)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick. Am I right in thinking this display simply plugs into the mac and doesnt have it's own power supply? (I should have checked these things before i bought it really)

Yes...that's was the idea when Apple came out (about 10+ years ago) with the CRT and then LCD displays the "ADC" connector. The idea was to simplify things with just a single cable (the power for the monitor comes from the computer).

Be very glad that you're using this monitor with a Powermac G5 (which I'm assuming the video card has an ADC port on it...many of them did). Otherwise if you were trying to connect this monitor to a newer computer...I would have to advise you to basically use it as a door-stop...and buy a newer monitor.;)

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mine has only two dvi ports and was planning on getting an adapter. It's a G5/1.6. Will it work ok?

Hmmm...that's too bad! Have you done any research concerning an DVI to ADC adapter?

I've been down this road many times...and I know the answers...but I just wanted to know what you know first;)...because in many cases "it ain't pretty"!:(

- Nick

p.s. You must have gotten this Apple LCD monitor EXTREMELY cheap since a much newer LCD monitor in the 17-19" range can be purchased fairly commonly for around $40-$50.

OP
J
Reaction score
I know apple don't sell them anymore, found a few online for sale though...That's all i could find on google really

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know apple don't sell them anymore, found a few online for sale though...That's all i could find on google really

What sort of prices did you find? And are you ok with the prices?

In any case...if you found some DVI-ADC adapters (in stock)...and you're ok with the price(s)...then sure it will work.:)

I personally have both styles of DVI-ADC adapters...and both styles work great. Each has it's own application. With a Powermac G5...you're lucky...since with that application you can use the less expensive DVI-ADC adapter.

I will mention though. If you total up the cost of what you paid for the monitor + shipping + cost of the adapter...you could have purchased a better/bigger LCD monitor (at least a 19") with a DVI cable that would have fit hassle-free with your Powermac G5.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Just over £64 inc shipping which i know isnt ideal but i really like the design of these
monitors tbh, Cheers for the help, good to know it will work

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.