New Macbook Pro runs loud

Reaction score
I just got my first Apple product... Macbook Pro. I've always been a PC user, but friends who love their macs have convinced me to switch. The laptop seems to run loud. I have a PC laptop that is not loud, and have used my friend's older Mac laptop and don't recall any noise. Since I've had this less than 24 hours, should I be concerned and bring it back?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Maybe. What are you doing with it when it runs loud? Take a look at Activity Monitor and see what processes are taxing the CPU. Does it always run 'loud' from the time you turn it on? Download SMC FanControl or iStat so you can see what the fans are doing.

OP
V
Reaction score
I have only been online. Google, Facebook, etc. Only thing I've downloaded so far is Flash. Uploaded about 100 pictures, that's all.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I have only been online. Google, Facebook, etc. Only thing I've downloaded so far is Flash. Uploaded about 100 pictures, that's all.

I still recommend you download one of those utilities just to get an idea of what's running at high speeds. I'm of course assuming you're talking about excessive fan noise-if not - please say so.

If you find your fans are running at excessive speeds under no real CPU loads - then you can try a SMC reset - SMC Reset but if that doesn't work - I wouldn't bother with any further troubleshooting given that you've only had the PC for a day. I'd make an appt with the Genius bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I'm just the opposite of the previous poster. I never install fan apps and such. I think they interfere with the proper operation of the laptop. Uploading pictures will cause the CPU to work harder which in turn will cause the fans to speed up. This should only be temporary. But also Spotlight could be indexing your drive. This takes CPU cycles as well and can cause the fan to speed up during indexing.

You don't give a lot of data about your machine so it's hard to make a determination about your problem. I can say that if you have a late MacBook the cooling system and fan controllers are pretty sophisticated and really need no outside intervention to keep your computer at the proper temperature.

Just my way of doing things. Keeps the system cleaner and easier to troubleshoot.

Regards,

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13in, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB, Mac OSX 10.7.1
When your Mac runs loud, do you have it sitting on the bed or in your lap? I had the same problem and I happened to be at the Apple store and according to them, the MacBook is a notebook and not a laptop and it dissipates the heat through the aluminum case and if you have it in your lap or laying on the bed or something like that, it traps the heat in and makes the fan work harder to cool it off. The said to use it on a hard surface as much as possible.

Hope this helps

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm just the opposite of the previous poster. I never install fan apps and such. I think they interfere with the proper operation of the laptop. Uploading pictures will cause the CPU to work harder which in turn will cause the fans to speed up. This should only be temporary. But also Spotlight could be indexing your drive. This takes CPU cycles as well and can cause the fan to speed up during indexing.

You don't give a lot of data about your machine so it's hard to make a determination about your problem. I can say that if you have a late MacBook the cooling system and fan controllers are pretty sophisticated and really need no outside intervention to keep your computer at the proper temperature.

Just my way of doing things. Keeps the system cleaner and easier to troubleshoot.

Regards,

Pat

I'm not sure you fully read my suggestion. Nowhere am I suggesting that these programs be used to override any settings - simply to get a feel for what's going on - if anything. I've used SMCFanControl since I got my MBP and it does not interfere with any of the fans automatically ramping up on their own.

The question posed isn't "how to keep the PC cool" - it's "why is my PC loud" ...when clearly he doesn't think it's under much stress. Noone has given the OP suggestions on how to control his temperature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
I'm not sure you fully read my suggestion. Nowhere am I suggesting that these programs be used to override any settings - simply to get a feel for what's going on - if anything. I've used SMCFanControl since I got my MBP and it does not interfere with any of the fans automatically ramping up on their own.

The question posed isn't "how to keep the PC cool" - it's "why is my PC loud" ...when clearly he doesn't think it's under much stress. Noone has given the OP suggestions on how to control his temperature.

No problem.

But the OP is a new Mac user and I felt that the instruction to add third party software to what I assume is a new Mac would only complicate things. I also don't know what operating system he has, Lion or SL, He does not state. Since I am not very familiar with that product and with the limited experience I have had on this forum it seems that most individuals shy away from third party applications that clean, protect or otherwise try and do something to your Mac because it isn't working right.

I'm sure the OP will do what he is most comfortable doing. I don't see any other posts by him so maybe his problem, if it was a problem, is solved.

Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers.

Regards,

Pat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.