New mac user, value advise please

Reaction score
So, I've been thinking about getting a macbook for a while now and came across a macbook pro on craigslist. I contact the dude and he came down in price to $985. Specs for the laptop:

Macbook Pro purchased new summer of 2008:
core 2 duo 2.53
4gb ram
250gb HDD
GPU: nvidia 9400m w/ 1440x900 native screen rez.
applecare paid until August 2012
minor cosmetic blemishes to be expected from laptop usage.

Link to post: FS: Apple MacBook Pro 15" 2.53 Ghz 4GB Ram 250 GB HD w/AppleCare 2008

In addition to coming down in price (which he did quite easily, so perhaps I could have gone lower) he also offered to toss in an ipod shuffle and wireless mouse. Doesn't seem like a bad deal, but I know those specs in a windows laptop wouldn't go for more than $400 these days.

Question: Does this seem like a decent deal given the specs? Would you get it if you were looking for a macbook? I've heard macbooks hold their value more than windows laptops but I don't have enough experience with macs to know if they hold value this well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Was there a question?

OP
M
Reaction score
Updated post

Oops, there was suppose to be, yes:) I updated post. I'm basically looking for opinions as to the value of this particular package.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
OP
M
Reaction score
it seemed a bit high to me as well, even at $985. What wouldn't seem high to you? $600-700, perhaps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Also,
Make sure you get the Original OS X disks that came with it.
So many people have run into trouble when they do not have the original system disks.

DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
since with craigslist you can test the machine, if it is not worth it, you can always back out. Would avoid buying pre 2009 model though. Yet apple product hold its value against window pc. It is the golden standard of all pcs.
If you go with refurbished one, remember it has been broken before, with all the complicated circuit board and switches, it might go wrong too.
Bottom line is use your judgement. The advantage with craigslist is you can see with your own eyes, no one is going put a gun on you to buy. There bound to be some honest sellers, you have to be patient, you might be lucky though, till then good luck.

OP
M
Reaction score
since with craigslist you can test the machine, if it is not worth it, you can always back out. Would avoid buying pre 2009 model though. Yet apple product hold its value against window pc. It is the golden standard of all pcs.
If you go with refurbished one, remember it has been broken before, with all the complicated circuit board and switches, it might go wrong too.
Bottom line is use your judgement. The advantage with craigslist is you can see with your own eyes, no one is going put a gun on you to buy. There bound to be some honest sellers, you have to be patient, you might be lucky though, till then good luck.
After some more consideration, I think I agree with getting nothing older than 2009. I think it was Q4 2008 that the unibody was introduced, yes? Thanks for the input.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
After some more consideration, I think I agree with getting nothing older than 2009. I think it was Q4 2008 that the unibody was introduced, yes? Thanks for the input.

IMHO...there's really nothing wrong with purchasing something older that 2009 (as long as the computer is functioning properly)...it's just comes down to paying a fair price.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13in, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB, Mac OSX 10.7.1
If it were me, I would just spend a couple hundred dollars more and get brand new one. I am really leery about buying used electronics from people I don't know. By getting a brand new one, you know that is not be abused at all and you are able to get the Apple Care and all the good stuff. It really doesn't sound worth it to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.