Reverse Backup PROBLEMO

Reaction score
What a retarded thing I did. I took the old folder from the backup drive and placed it into the regular harddrive. I basically replaced the new folder with the old photo. What I mainly lost here was text documents, though two folders of photos were crucial too. This is a major, major loss. When I open the text documents, they were the older documents. Now they're the only ones on both drives. Tell me I can revert this folder. I can't find an UNDO MOVE button either. Hopefully someone gets back to me before the power goes out again and I lose that dreamy potential UNDO MOVE button that will save me from this digital nightmare. Thanks a lot.

OP
M
Reaction score
WHAT's A TIME MACHINE???

Hi Chas_M,

What's a time machine backup??

There's the backup harddrive and there's the real harddrive. I took the two month old file and replaced the brand new file. I want the new file back, which was replaced by the old file. I really need this guys. Someone help me. I don't know anything about time machines.

OP
M
Reaction score
What a retarded thing I did. I took the old folder from the backup drive and placed it into the regular harddrive. I basically replaced the new folder with the old photo. What I mainly lost here was text documents, though two folders of photos were crucial too. This is a major, major loss. When I open the text documents, they were the older documents. Now they're the only ones on both drives. Tell me I can revert this folder. I can't find an UNDO MOVE button either. Hopefully someone gets back to me before the power goes out again and I lose that dreamy potential UNDO MOVE button that will save me from this digital nightmare. Thanks a lot.

Someone suggested using Time Machine but I have yet to set it up, I don't know if I can use it. I really need some help here. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do not start a new thread when the subject is the same. Always post back to the same thread which is ongoing. Your post has been merged together here.

OP
M
Reaction score
I can't respect that rule because once someone replies the thread dies. I want this thread to start anew with no replies and delete this one. Don't merge it here, start a new one. Someone does a half-grammatical answer and I'm screwed. This is a serious issue, I have been trolling forums for a few days now and I haven't gotten a response. Please help. Thanks.

OP
M
Reaction score
New topic: Undoing folder moves

It's a simple question, you either know or you don't know. Can a folder move be undone on a MAC 10.5 software. I took an OLD folder from my zip drive and dragged it to replace a NEW folder on my MAC harddrive, instead of the other way around. I need to undo this and get the NEW file back that was replaced by the OLD file. Does anyone understand this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't respect that rule because once someone replies the thread dies.

Reference your statement above, look for private mail.

It's a simple question, you either know or you don't know. Can a folder move be undone on a MAC 10.5 software. I took an OLD folder from my zip drive and dragged it to replace a NEW folder on my MAC harddrive, instead of the other way around. I need to undo this and get the NEW file back that was replaced by the OLD file. Does anyone understand this?

You overwrote a folder and now it's gone. As chas_m advised you back in post number #2, use your backup to recover. If you don't have a backup or don't know what Time Machine is, your folder is gone. No way to recover it. There is no "undo" feature. (Which is why you should be making backups.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Firstly...let me give you a quick pointer on forum courtesy. Folks that respond to your questions do it out of the kindness of their heart. We don't get paid for what we do...it's all free help. If you respond the way you have in this thread...even if someone has a helpful answer...they're not going to help you since you're basically not being very friendly.

Regarding your problem/question (using your own words)...YES you did do a "retarded thing"!!! You should NEVER (willy-nilly) replace an existing folder on your computers hard drive with an older version from a backup drive. Unless you really really mean to do it...and understand the consequences. The information on the backup folder will almost always be OLDER then the same folder on your internal HD...and that older information may not do you any good.

Can this move be undone...no! When you copied that "old folder" from your backup drive...you over-wrote files on your internal HD...some of those files might be the files you want to recover. Technically speaking...a computer expert skilled in recovering lost files...and has special recovery software..."might" be able to recover the files your looking for. But this is a VERY expensive service...that would probably cost you hundreds of dollars...and there is no guarantee your files will be recovered.

Suffice it to say that this "folder move" you did from your backup drive cannot be undone. It wasn't a very intelligent move...and now you basically have learned a very important lesson that I doubt you will do again anytime soon!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.