iMac 27" for graphic/web design and music production

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a 27" iMac soon and not sure what to get. I will be using it mainly for graphic design, web design, and music production. I plan on running either Adobe® CS5.5 Design Premium or Adobe® CS5.5 Web Premium AND Logic Studio regularly. Money is not too much of an issue but if the upgrade makes little difference, I would rather save the money. If it would be worth the money to upgrade I want to though. This is not my first Mac, I have a MBP but when I was buying it years ago I didn't look too much into the upgrade options and regret not upgrading and researching more before buying now.

The options are:

Processor
3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x4GB

Hard Drive
1TB Serial ATA Drive
2TB Serial ATA Drive
256GB Solid State Drive
1TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive
2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive

Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB GDDR5
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

I'm not sure what the difference between the 3.1GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 and 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 processor options are. Would it be worth the upgrade? Other than that, so far I am planning on these options:

Memory
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
Should I upgrade to 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x4GB?

Hard Drive
2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive

Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5

Help! Thanks for reading all this and any input!

Reaction score
Some things (maybe except RAM and HDD) are impossible or very hard to upgrade later. That's why, when purchasing a new Mac I usually go for a few upgrades so it lasts me longer.

I just got the 27" iMac less than a couple months ago and went for the i7 processor and the 2GB graphics card. Just to save me some hassle I also went for 8GB of RAM. Although - that upgrade is quite expensive via Apple compared to buying the RAM and switching it out yourself.

HDD I left at the 1TB SATA drive. Enough for right now and can always be changed/upgraded in the future.

To summarize, I would upgrade to i7 and 2GB graphics. You could save the money on RAM and HDD and upgrade that yourself.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
Go for the SSD. Do not hesitate over the cost. You can always hang a 1tb drive off of a USB port.

I just did an experiment that I read on another post somewhere. I opened 40 apps from my SSD on my 1gb 2ghz Core Duo iMac. That's right, a 1st gen Intel iMac. They all open almost instantaneously. Its really cool. The only fly in the ointment is that a lot of the apps have a dialog box and they all start jumping up and down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.