New Mac Mini 2011 - gaming expectations?

Reaction score
Hi, I have already purchased a 2011 Mac Mini, and actually have it with me, but I just don't have my monitor (I'm moving back into my apartment this week, but am staying with relatives who don't have any spare HDTVs lying around for me to mess with my Mini).

I just would like to know what I can expect in terms of gaming performance from my new Mini, and these are the specifications:

2.7 i7 CPU
8GB RAM
750GB 7200rpm HDD

I'm looking to play various Steam games, primarily TF2 and CS:S as well as SC2.

I already play those games on my current MBP with these specifications:

2.8 C2D CPU
4GB RAM
320GB 7200rpm HDD

I've tried finding reviews, or benchmarks but nothing really gives me an idea of what my particular Mini will be able to do. Also, how much of a performance increase should I expect to see going from my MBP to the Mini?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
MacWorld Magazine has a review of the latest Mac Mini computers here.

OP
D
Reaction score
The only problem with that is that it goes up to the upper tier base Mac Mini with the 2.5 i5 CPU.

It doesn't give me an accurate representation of what my particular Mini will be capable, which is why reviews like that aren't as helpful. I obviously can't expect all the reviewers to buy every possible Mini configuration, so I understand I'm being picky in this instance.

But it's hard to really get a grasp of what my machine will be able to do if the only review at my disposal says that the most comparable base model is better than...the previous base model? Or that that particular model can play my games at medium settings, and because mine is better I should expect to play on high settings? Ultra settings?

That's why I came here, because I know that other customers buy configurations other than the base model, and I was hoping that someone would be able to say what they're able to do with their machine.

I appreciate your help in directing me to that article, but I have read articles like that and I'm still left wondering "What will mine then be capable of?" I can obviously assume that it would be better than whatever the review said the base model was able to do, but how much better? What exactly does that "better" equate to in regards to what I wish to do with my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 8GB RAM 750GB Hard Drive and Mac Pro (Early 2009)16GB RAM 2TB x4 Hard Drive
The review quite good and true 'coz I've tested every mac mini and get the similar result.

For games and VDO. Mac mini with dual core i5 2.5gHz and AMD Radeon HD 6630M GPU would be the better choice. You can upgrade to dual core i7 at apple online store.

Mac Mini quad-core i7 comes with intel 3000 HD integrated GPU. It's quite OK to run games but not as good as AMD radeon 6630M in $799 model

same as Dany Frakes from Macworld said
If you're in the market for a mini, which model should you get? This year, the question has an easy answer: If you need the best performance—graphics or CPU—the $799 model is a nice step up, especially for games; it's also the only (non-server) mini available with a Core i7 processor.

Don't worry Dual core i5 might not be the best processor at the moment but it's fast enough, and it's the GPU that really matter for games.

if you really want quad core i7 with GPU capable for games. You'll have to go for iMac 21" $1499 from apple online store and add $200 for i7 upgrade. So that would be $1699 in total. Which is quite a lot more expensive

OP
D
Reaction score
I have a Mac Mini already - just haven't had the opportunity to use it.

So that post really doesn't help me at all, unfortunately.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.