iphone unlock?

Reaction score
ok, i dont have an iphone so dont worry, im not trying to unlock anything, ok?!! so, im just wondering, what is the point of unlocking it? Can someone use prepaid cards like "boost mobile" on an unlocked iphone?

C

chas_m

The point of unlocking an iPhone is to be able to use it in other countries with GSM-compatible carriers.

For example, when I moved from the US to Canada I had to unlock my original iPhone for it to work up here. I do in fact use prepaid cards with it, but that's because the Canadian carrier I chose is compatible with the iPhone.

I don't know if Boost Mobile would work, but I seem to recall that in the US only AT&T and T-Mobile can work with unlocked GSM iPhones (the Verizon iPhones are a different thing and only work with Verizon at present).

For the record, I unlocked my iPhone after my AT&T contract was up and after that they were perfectly happy to put me on their "GoPhone" plan (prepaid).

So **IF** you can unlock the iPhone (not all versions are unlockable; depends on what version of iOS and baseband version they are running), and **IF** you're not on contract, then you CAN use an iPhone to switch carriers and use SOME prepaid companies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.