Excel won't open

Reaction score
Hi. I'm unable to open Excel. As soon as I click on the icon, I receive the error message: Microsoft Excel cannot be opened because of a problem. Check with ... be sure Excel works with this version of Mac OS X. Yo may need to reinstall the application."

I can't reinstall the program because I moved recently and don't know where it is. I purchased it legally at an Apple store. Here are the details of the error message "ignore" or "report" box. Are any of you able to give me advice on what to try until I can find my original copy to reinstall? Thanks. Also, for those of you who are regular forum members, I'm sorry to hear about Schweb passing away. His name is even familiar to me as someone patient who gave detailed advice whenever I searched for a solution to my Mac missteps.

Date/Time: 2011-08-30 00:47:05.022 -0400
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K540)
Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 8765 sec
Crashes Since Last Report: 3
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 3
Anonymous UUID: 34290154-4EA2-4417-B6C8-FED6B540A979

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: @rpath/mbukernel.framework/Versions/14/mbukernel
Referenced from: /Users/Anne/Desktop/Microsoft Excel.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Excel
Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe4163b dyld 132.1 (???) <4CDE4F04-0DD6-224E-ACE5-3C06E169A801> /usr/lib/dyld

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The error message doesn't tell us anything that you haven't already stated. The best way to solve that problem is by reinstalling MS Office. You never told us which version of Office it is?

If you lost your install CD, it's not possible to reinstall the application in order to repair whatever is causing the error. Do you at least have the product key number that you used to install Office?

You might try this:

If you don't know the product key number, you may be able to extract it by using this small application: LINK

Once you get the product key number, download the trial version of MS Office from the MS site and install it. Then use your product key to register it. Note: It must be the same version of Office that you have otherwise the product key will not work for the trial version.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you!

I wasn't able to open the downloaded file and I've lost the disks temporarily, but your mention of a product key reminded me that I've started recording those (in an encrypted file) when I purchase new software, and I found my product key! I didn't realize I could use that with a trial version, so I really appreciate your suggestions. I'll download the trial version and get back to work on my project. Thanks so much!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.