A few questions from a fairly new Mac user

Reaction score
We are slowly switching all of our computer use to Mac.

Since our last PC has just bit the dust, I no longer have the "use the PC for certain functions and use the Mac for other functions" capability and honestly don't want it anymore, BUT I now need to figure out some things with software.

My first quandary is in regards to word processing and spreadsheet programs. I have downloaded the 14 day free trial of iwork '09 and so far I really like it better than excel and word for Windows.

If I were to get iWork for my Macs, I have a few questions. Right now we have an a MacBookPro (our first Mac purchased last year) and an iMac and ipad (both purchased within the last couple of months.

questions:

1. If I get iWork family pack, can I download it somehow to my iPad and use one of the registration codes for the ipad? Or is the only way to get it on the ipad to download and pay for the app through iTunes?

2. If I buy the app is it the full iWork version? Can the app be used on the other Macs as a regular program or would I need to purchase the program for the computer and for the ipad?

Thank you!,

Dawn

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
1. If I get iWork family pack, can I download it somehow to my iPad and use one of the registration codes for the ipad? Or is the only way to get it on the ipad to download and pay for the app through iTunes?

2. If I buy the app is it the full iWork version? Can the app be used on the other Macs as a regular program or would I need to purchase the program for the computer and for the ipad?

The best way to purchase any of the iWork applications (iWork is no longer being updated as a suite by Apple) is to purchase them separately from the Mac Applications Store (MAS). If you're running at least Snow Leopard 10.6.6 on your machine, you should have an icon for the App store.

Pages and Numbers have both been updated and are $19.99 each. Once you purchase them, you download them again and again for all your Macs without having to pay. No need to purchase a family pack.

However, you will need to repurchase them for your mobile devices as that is a separate version.

OP
D
Reaction score
What do you mean by mobile devices? Do you mean ipads or do you mean only iphones and ipods?

So, the $19 on at the app store is indeed the full version and I can use it for all 3 devices, my Mac computers and my ipad?

Just double checking before I purchase.

THANK YOU!,

Dawn

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, just the Macs. The iPad and iPhone use a version that's specific to iOS not Mac OS X. Either way, you'll have to purchase two versions: One for your Mac machines, another for the iPad or iPhone.

But it's more economical to purchase from the Mac App Store for your Macs since you can download them over again for all the Macs in your household. Remember again though, your iPad or iPhone uses a different version and will have to be purchased from the iTunes store.

OP
D
Reaction score
So is there any way to sync files from iWork (any of them) from the ipad to the computer or is that not possible?

And are you saying that the ipad version is the $9.99 version in the App store and the computer version is the $19.99 version then?

Sorry for all the questions that may seem redundant, I really am new to all of this and trying to get it.

I would like to sync my lesson plans if possible.....type them on the computer and sync them onto the ipad for portability.

Thank you!,

Dawn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (Late-2011), 2.4 GHz Core i7, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD
You can buy the OS X versions of iWork apps for $19.99 each, and install them on every Mac tied to your Apple Account. To get the iOS versions, you would need to buy them seperately for $9.99 each. That's still cheaper than buying the retail family pack for iWork. As far as synching iWork documents goes, you can't do that yet - but you will when iOS 5 and iCloud are released to the general public in the fall.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Don't rule out certain SW just because it's made by Microsoft. Office 2011 is a decent package and I'm not sure that any spreadsheet software can stack up next to Excel. Don't be afraid to put quality Microsoft SW on your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I use Microsoft Office 2011:mac every day and love it. Of course, I could not have anything but the Microsoft suite anyway because of the documents I have to edit and share between others in my line of work. There is not a 100% compatible version of office suite to compare to Microsoft. When you get into the higher end functions, the rest fall apart for compatibility.

And, it is not much more expensive and in my opinion, worth every penny.

OP
D
Reaction score
Is the 2011 version that different than the 2008 version? I have the 2008 on my laptop but would need something for my desktop.

Is there anything with Word for the iPad? Anything that will sync?

Thank you,

Dawn

I use Microsoft Office 2011:mac every day and love it. Of course, I could not have anything but the Microsoft suite anyway because of the documents I have to edit and share between others in my line of work. There is not a 100% compatible version of office suite to compare to Microsoft. When you get into the higher end functions, the rest fall apart for compatibility.

And, it is not much more expensive and in my opinion, worth every penny.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you already have Office 2008, you may or may not want to upgrade to Office 2011. I have both (on two different machines) and clearly, Office 2011 is superior to Office 2008 in many ways. But it's up to you since the Home and Student version of Office 2011 only allows for one install unless you buy the three pack.

As for a version of Word, Powerpoint, or Excel for iOS, it doesn't exist. Microsoft "supposedly" is working on a version, but I would not hold my breath for too long on that....

If you have an iPad and need a word processor program or presentation program, your best choice would be Pages and Keynote. Remember though, you must purchase them separately from the iTunes store. They will not work on your Mac.

OP
D
Reaction score
Well, I only have Word on my laptop. A friend actually gave it to me. She got the 3 pack and she only needed two of them so she let me have her 3rd.

I need something for the new iMac desktop I got a couple of weeks ago.

Dawn

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, unless you're prepared to purchase Office, Pages may be your best choice as it is only $19.99 from the App store. It will read and save to the Word formats. And as I stated above, you can install it on all your Macs for the same price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Well, I only have Word on my laptop. A friend actually gave it to me. She got the 3 pack and she only needed two of them so she let me have her 3rd.

I need something for the new iMac desktop I got a couple of weeks ago.

Dawn

Better not let Microsoft read that - the three pack is for family members IN THE SAME HOUSE.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
What do you mean by mobile devices?

Well, I'd take that to mean any device that doesn't have to remain plugged in to a power outlet in order to use it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.