Mac OS 10.4.5 wireless connection problem

Reaction score
I have an iMac about 6 or 7 years old (power PC) that I want to give to a grand daughter for schoolwork, etc. I have not been able to connect to my wireless network. All software is up to date, etc., but the menu tells me I am putting in the wrong WPA2 password. I have a Mini Mac (Power PC) also running OS 10.4.5 which connects with no problem using the exact same password. All settings are the same as far as I can tell, but I can't get past the password problem. Any suggestions out there?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Well for starters does the iMac have an Airport card, and if so is it operating? Go into Apple System profiler (About this Mac) and click on Network and see if the card appears. They do fail after time. Have you tried connecting using an ethernet cable?

Also suggest when all is well updating to OS X.4.11 using Combo Updater.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Mac_OS_X_10_4_11_Combo_Update__PPC_

Reaction score
g4 powerbook has same problem

my airport card is working. but it says the passwords wrong every single time. the G4 work prefect with ethernet cable. any helpful ideas that might make it work?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The airport card may be working, but it may not be able to accept WPA2. As a test switch the router to either WPA or even WEP as a test to see if it will connect. Older machines generally do not work with WPA2. I've got one here that will only do WEP unless I use a dongle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Correct staff. Completely forgot about that older Macs not connecting to WPA2 Personal. My apologies OP.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. My iMac G4 is older (2003 build) with Airport card trying to connect to WPA2. But I have not been able to connect with a dongle either. Does that mean it may not connect to WPA2 at all?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Dongles are not the best way to connect especially with older machines. I've used one on an old Windows machine and it works, however, finding one that works with OS X especially on a system that old is doubtful. You're probably going to have to settle on using WEP or just connect via ethernet.

OP
G
Reaction score
I was finally able to connect with the dongle, but must put in the WPA2 passcode every time. I had to start by going through the network connection first, which by itself didn't work, and then in addition connect again using the Ralink driver software which I downloaded for the dongle, and ALSO connecting through that. Once that was done, the computer connects through the Ralink menu alone. Neither connection setup worked alone. SHEESH!

After connecting it works OK. Browsers seem limited to Safari and Opera so far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.