Right-click/Search Google ignores default web browser and opens in Safari???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch iMac (Early 2008), 2.66 GHz Processor, 4 GB RAM, Snow Leopard 10.6.8
I've used Google Chrome as my default web browser for a while now with no issues, but when I right-click on a word of phrase and select "Search Google" from another app, Lion opens up the results in Safari every time. Everything else works fine, and oddly enough, the feature seems to work fine from within Google Chrome itself, but nowhere else. (???) ...and yes, I have Google Chrome set as the default in both Chrome's and Safari's preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I think that's based on OS X's Data Detection software built into the OS. Same thing applies to mailto: links - they'll open in Mail every time, even if Thunderbird or Outlook is your email application of choice. According to Microsoft, Apple hasn't released the APIs for data detection to 3rd party companies - that's why they aren't in Outlook.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch iMac (Early 2008), 2.66 GHz Processor, 4 GB RAM, Snow Leopard 10.6.8
...Same thing applies to mailto: links - they'll open in Mail every time...

Odd, mail links work fine for me. I use Sparrow as my default mail client and every mail link I can imagine has worked the way I would expect. PDFs, Safari, Chrome, TextEdit, Address Book... they all open mailto: links in Sparrow.
For me, the "Search Google" contextual menu item is the only feature not working right.
(...well, its not the only feature not working. I've had a lot of issues with Lion that are completely unrelated to this one.)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Apple hasn't released the APIs for data detection to 3rd party companies - that's why they aren't in Outlook.

I had to laugh when I read that. I'm thinking about all the application developers over the years who complained about that very thing with Microsoft. You think Apple is getting even? :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.