• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Why I'm Not Committing to Lion Yet

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
There are a number of valid reasons to stay with Snow Leopard.

This author doesn't discuss a single one of them except for a vague, non-committal reference to bug concerns.

There are a number of optional features in Lion that, while superfluous or undesirable to some, can be either not used or switched off.

Every single fault this author does discuss, with the exception of a vague, non-commital reference to bug concerns, is one of these.

And this is why I don't trust overly Mac-centric "news" sites to make legitimate critiques of anything Apple produces.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I disagree with almost everything the person said in that review. Mail does that exact thing he wants with rules. Can't write a simple rule? Took me 30 seconds.

Each their own I always say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Hmm...
I didn't bother reading all of that article but I can't imagine a very large percentage of Lion users feeling the way he does. I think he represents a small amount of people - especially mouse users over trackpad users. I mean if you have a Mac notebook, odds are you use the trackpad the vast majority of the time.

I can't really say the initial move to Lion was "buggy" for me at all. I mean there's always going to be something that's not quite perfect (I miss the gesture to move from app to app). I'm running 10.7.1 and I figure by time I'm into .2 or .3 it'll be 99.9% smooth. No honest "complaints" here.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The move to Lion went smoothly on both of my machines and I'm happy with its performance. Considering that one of the machines is a 2008 MacBook Core 2 Duo, that's saying a lot.

However, there are just too many reports of folks having various problems with Lion. Not just in our forums - have a look at the Apple forums, Mac Rumors, and the others. In my humble opinion, this is more than I can remember from the update to Snow Leopard from Leopard.

And add to all of this the questionable move by Apple not to provide Lion on disk makes me wonder if Lion really needs more work. I guess we'll see over time as 10.7.2 and other updates are released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
I can see Chris's perspective as well - it mirror's my father's. I've installed Lion on three computers so far - my work computer, my personal computer and my wife's computer. So far, pretty smooth sailing. My wife is a browser-tab junkie, so she's got at least ten pages of Firefox running with about a dozen tabs each. At those times, yeah, her Mac will slow to a crawl. But, apart from that, the transition has been smooth and painless.

My father on the other hand, I'm terrified to upgrade him. He's still running 10.4.x on G4 processors. I was going to give him an '07 Macbook loaded with the latest software, but it would absolutely confound him - and he's a sharp guy. He stays with older OSes and hardware because he can't find a database that will allow him to transfer his Microsoft Works database and make it do what he wants, and honestly, he doesn't want to spend the money on something that won't do what he wants any better than what he's got. He's got a routine down and he's happy with it. Apple has a knack for saying "Yeah, but that's wrong... do it this way now."

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My friends, the future is Cloud. Google is there now with their Chrome OS and all their apps. Apple is following. Apple is discontinuing their software in stores and going all Online (Cloud) Distribution.

Am I all for it? Not completely. I want my Applications here on my machine where I can use them even if the internet goes down. My DATA even more so. It will stay right here where I can protect it myself.

Do some searches on Windows 8 Cloud and Azure their Cloud App programming language. The whole world of computers is slowly going to the cloud.

Do remember that you can purchase a Flash Drive with Lion on it. Sure it's a bit more but WAY less than any Windows that does all OSX Lion does.

I do understand this is causing a lot of issues especially for people who just bought a new Mac that will only run Lion and no way to get it. It can be gotten around.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To Ever, Let me check on Works Databases. I am sure I imported mine over with something. Maybe NeoOffice or Open office. I will get back to you if I find anything. I was a big Works Database user as I did not like Access for home database usage.

I did convert it over somehow!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well purchased Office 2011 online, and the same with Lion, and in each instance was able to copy to a SanDisk Cruzer with no problems, and have done the same with DiskWarrior. Where necessary these are bootable and of course Lion comes with the Recovery Disk also. This is no doubt the way things are going and the only problem I foresee is the need for half a dozen or so thumb drives.

Saves an awful amount of manufacturing time, cost and materials. Subject to goods being marketed at a suitable price, no objections whatsoever.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
Well, I'm only using Lion on my 2007 Model MacBook Pro because it crashes my 2009 model 27" iMac. It seems to run ok on the MBP. Hoping for updates that resolves the crashing issues so i can reinstall on both my iMacs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
From my experience, not doing a clean instal with Lion left me with some slow downs, and sleep/turning off problems. They almost all went away after doing a complete clean install. I didn't do a backup from time machine, I installed SL, installed iLife, and iWorks, then did the updates, then installed Lion. Works perfect except Safari still uses up almost 1.5gb's of ram sometimes. Hopefully they will patch that up quick!

I also did hate the autocorrecting that it did. I turned it off though. There really is no need to actually discuss the problems with something when it give the user to either use it or not!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The move to Lion went smoothly on both of my machines and I'm happy with its performance. Considering that one of the machines is a 2008 MacBook Core 2 Duo, that's saying a lot.
Same here. I have an early 08 MB and Lion runs like a champ on it. I will admit though that I initially upgraded instead of doing a clean install and the upgrade was slow as molasses. After doing the clean install though, it runs smoothly.

(Yet another reason I don't do upgrades)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Same here. I have an early 08 MB and Lion runs like a champ on it. I will admit though that I initially upgraded instead of doing a clean install and the upgrade was slow as molasses. After doing the clean install though, it runs smoothly.

(Yet another reason I don't do upgrades)

But this is a significant problem, given the distribution method of the OS. Since it's model was upgrade ONLY, one would have thought that the numerous upgrade failures would have been caught in test... Or... the vast majority of people who participated in the 'beta' program didn't really participate, they simply did so to get the OS 'earlier' than anyone else and never bothered writing bugs.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
But this is a significant problem, given the distribution method of the OS. Since it's model was upgrade ONLY, one would have thought that the numerous upgrade failures would have been caught in test...
I never quite understood why Apple didn't allow users to easily make a copy of Lion from day one. If they did, users could have had the option of doing clean installs easily (yes, for those who are going to point this out, I know you can create one but how many average users would have known how?). I know they have the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant but that's only useful once Lion is installed. If they had made it available from day one, we wouldn't have had the problems of an upgrade only option.
Or... the vast majority of people who participated in the 'beta' program didn't really participate, they simply did so to get the OS 'earlier' than anyone else and never bothered writing bugs.
I think you're right on the button there. I'm sure there are many zealous users who aren't developers in any form who joined the paid dev program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
I think it's horrible that a new machine doesn't at least get a copy of Lion on a USB stick. If your hard drive fails, you have to purchase a new copy because you didn't get it from the Mac App store

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See my above post regarding the Lion Recovery Disk Assistant. ;)

Reaction score
I thought he was going to say because it was buggy. That's a fairly valid reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yet it's not....
Donno, I bailed on it due to a bug. Seems I was able to regression test it, all on my own ;)

To be honest, I'll probably wait at this point till I NEED to go to Lion.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I think it's horrible that a new machine doesn't at least get a copy of Lion on a USB stick. If your hard drive fails, you have to purchase a new copy because you didn't get it from the Mac App store

I agree about not getting a physical copy of the OS with a new machine.

But, nope. What I've found is that once you register your new machine that comes with Lion, Garageband, iPhoto, iMovie.... The software is now associated with your Apple ID - not the machine it originally shipped on.

Plus, now that we've been here and know how (or at least, where to find the directions) to make a backup in case our drive dies - we have no more excuses.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.