• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Power Outage Causes Problems...help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
A relative just emailed me telling me they need some help, so I thought I'd post her situation to hear everyone's input on this...

She had a slight power outage/spike, not even long enough to shut off her mac. Her internet goes through a router to her mac via ethernet, and then also to a PC via ethernet. She also has a printer connected to the router via ethernet.

After the spike, her internet on the mac would not work. She switched the slot the mac was plugged into on the router to the other free one, and the internet then worked. However, she can not print to her printer anymore, and her PC's shared drives aren't showing up under her network on the mac. We had never been able to get the PC set up to see the mac (although the mac had previously been able to see the PC), Virus software prevented that from working.

The router was the only thing not connected to a surge protector.

I have a feeling the router is fried. I can't imagine it's the mac, as there is no reason a power spike would change settings. What do you all think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Question: Does to router include a print server built in?

S

Steel02001

I to think its the router?

Are other computers having problems with internet, etc.?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
definately tthe router, try hooking the mac up to the other ports and see if it works. it is also possible that the nic's on all the other equipment got zapped.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.