App Store: Applications shown as installed when they're not

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Just a heads up since I ran into this yesterday and took me a few minutes to figure it out.

Did you do a clean install? Still have one of your backup or Time Machine drives attached?

Spotlight is indexing your external drives. Try disconnecting all your external drives. I actually went into Spotlight preferences and added all my external and network drives/computers to the exception list.

The App Store via spotlight was finding apps installed on both my Snow Leopard and Lion backups and not allowing me to download them on my clean install until they were removed from Spotlight.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I ran into the same thing when I purchased the new iMac. Never suspected it was Spotlight though. Thanks.

I also had another weird problem with the App store apps that I already had paid for and using on the MacBook. The App store kept telling me that I had to use the original account to update the apps on the iMac. (I had migrated everything over using Time Machine) I wound up having to uninstall those apps first. The the App store allowed me to download them again and subsequently update.

This by the way, occurred even though I was using the same account to log into the App store on both machines. Confusing.... ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
The App store kept telling me that I had to use the original account to update the apps on the iMac. (I had migrated everything over using Time Machine) I wound up having to uninstall those apps first. The the App store allowed me to download them again and subsequently update.

I noticed that too and I only have one Mac. I was yelling: "This is the same account I purchased the app with!!" :Shouting:
I didn't know what caused it but just like you, finally uninstalling and reinstalling solved it.

Reaction score
BIG "thank you"!

bobtomay, I created an account just to say thank you - thank you, thank you, thank you!

I got my new iMac yesterday and all my Appstore-Apps showed as installed - it was driving me crazy. And not once did I even think about the drives I had attached, which, of course, contain my old TimeMachine-Backups....

So you just saved my sanity, thanks a million times :)))))

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.